Bad Uk Credit Score

M

mat090486

I have recently moved to Ireland (7 months ago) from the UK were i was born and raised... over the past couple of years i hit financial hardship which caused me to run up quite a bad credit rating....missed payemtns etc etc...

Now i have a nicely paid job and since moving here i have not applied for anything on credit...i have no debts linked to my residence here. Myself and my girlfriend are wanting to apply for a mortgage in the coming months and i am wondering will my credit refrence in th UK be checked or will it go solely from an irish credit scoring prospective? I have accumalted some savings and hold a steady well paid full time job and can more than pay a mortgage?

Help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mat

I made the move a few years ago and basically had to start from scratch building up a credit history. No one seemed interested in my previous adress which at times could be a hinderance. Couldn't get a credit card for ages til I was "established" even a laser card was out of my reach for almost a year!

As far as I know, no checks are done abroad but with the world getting smaller, that might (if it hasn't already) change.

Going slightly off topic though, if you're going for a mortgage and have bought a house abroad previous, don't try and claim to be a first time buyer. I've heard that if checks are done - by the revenue I think, I'm sure someone will correct me - they will go right back and even check the country you came from. This isn't a credit issue though, it's a tax one.

Good luck, I hope you're afforded a fresh start.

Going slightly off topic though, if you're going for a mortgage and have bought a house abroad previous, don't try and claim to be a first time buyer.
If you have ever bought a house here or abroad then you are no longer a FTB for stamp duty purposes here in Ireland. You can still claim FTB owner occupier mortgage interest relief though. I don't think that Revenue go doing background checks on this sort of stuff (unless, perhaps, if your tax affairs are being audited) but you have a legal obligation not to make any false claims/declarations in this context.

i have spoken to BOI and they have told me they do not have the powers to investigate my debt in the UK i am a first time buyer still as i have only ever rented in the UK...so long story short the woman told me i could have as much debt as i wanted in the UK but as long as my finances are ok in Ireland then it wont affect me getting a mortgage.

BEST NEWS I HAVE HAD IN AGES

Have you reneged on any debts that remain outstanding in the UK? If so you might want to consider the possible implications to your financial situation of the creditor or debt collectors on their behalf chasing you for this. Especially before you take on the burden of a mortgage or other additional debt.

yeah i have started paying things back at this point...i know its impossible to walk away from debt

Back