Bad service BOI ATM: money was debited from my account but not dispensed.

Sansan

Hi all,

On Thursday I wanted to pay a few bills as Thursday is my banking day.

Armed with my stack of lodgment books (I don't like direct debits) I went to BOI ATM and went to take out €350. The ATM told me my transaction could not be processed at the moment and gave me back my card. I put the card back in and tried again as I knew it wasn't a funds issue. This time it said service unavailable.

I said right I'll just go to Halifax and take it out over the counter, so went in to Halifax and it turns out the money was debited from my account but not dispensed, went into BOI and spoke to v helpful girl. I was told I'd have to wait until they balance their ATM. I said ok and paid my stuff anyway.

I got a phone call at 5 pm telling me "you are lucky our ATM balanced"... I said grand, when will I get my money? I was told it would be lodged back into my account.

It should have been back in on Friday, it wasn't, the guy in bank of Ireland is always with someone and never returns my call.

I now have to take a days holidays on Monday to go into branch and hunt him down.

Their ATM messed up then IM LUCKY their ATM balanced out, and then give me the run around, it's not the money, it's the attitude of them that gets me, kept alive by the taxes of the little man then treat them like when it's the banks fault.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to hear of your problems, but do you have a specific question you want answered or is this just a rant about poor service?

I would have thought that the ATM would not have balanced & that it would have been ''over'' by €350. If it balanced surely that would imply that the total amount of cash dispensed agreed with the total debited from accounts.

There are previous threads along the same line if you run the search option in this forum.

Certainly wouldn't be taking time off work to sort it out but send off a fax or letter asking them to confirm why the money has not been returned to your account as agreed by Ms. ?????? on ??/2/'10. If it is not returned asap you shall be contacting Financial Regulator or Ombudsman.

I would have thought that the ATM would not have balanced & that it would have been ''over'' by €350. If it balanced surely that would imply that the total amount of cash dispensed agreed with the total debited from accounts.

Yes I wondered about this too.

Perhaps the OP would like us to consider the following question(s)?

What can BOI do to ensure that this does not happen again? And in the event of it occurring what can BOI do to resolve the matter quickly and to the OP's satisfaction ?

I would have thought that the ATM would not have balanced & that it would have been ''over'' by €350.
I presume the teller meant it balanced taking into consideration the 350 surplus which didn't dispense. When balancing an ATM machine the teller would have a misc column for none dispensed cash , I'd put it down to poor communication.

If your account is with Halifax the funds would not have been back in by Friday as it can take up to 48 hrs for an inter bank transfer , and I presume the transaction to transfer the funds back to your account took place after 5pm, as its likely the machine was balanced after 5pm. Were you specifically informed it would definitely be back in your account by Friday ?

I certainly wouldn't go to the hassle of taking a day off work to " hunt down " the staff member you spoke with, they may be on annual leave on Monday.

poor service and frustrating all the same, Hope you get it sorted.

Hi folks, thanks for the replies, my post is more of a rant on behalf of the poor service and don't give a crap attitude of boi staff, I was told they did a end of day balance and saw the error on their behalf, then to tellme I was lucky they saw their own mistake, a woman in the Halifax call center told me that she worked in boi and that they balance ATMs every day but any credits due to bank error take 5 working days to be refunded, this her experiance when she worked there, I belivee this to be true as I was told by service manager that I would have my moneyback on Friday, this just seems to be bull to keep me happy, if boi told me it would take 5 work days I would have said - grand it's a pain the bum but ok, but to be told I'll have it back in 24 hours and im lucky they spotted their own mistake is just so condesending, sorry for ranting on

Moved to LOS. Please do not rant other than in the LOS forum.