BAD EXPERIENCE WITH A NEW SHED INSTALL

NOAH

First off I can't believe I'm actually writing this but it shows how powerless elderly people really are. I had an old shed 16X8 but it was excellent, still not leaking but parts were rotting away. About 20 years plus old. Looked online and visited a few places all looked ok but not what I wanted and none would take away old shed. Asked around and got a recommend, ie very good installer etc and will take old shed. Day came and shed to be installed, advised him that power cables should be left for electrician so he will drill holes in correct spot, Door was to be hung on left with bolt lock high up. When shed was finished, door on wrong side, holes for cables drilled too far from wall, and worst of all the shed interior was too small to take my storage racks, ie it was 5' 5" at wall. I measured interior width and it was less than 8 foot, it was7' 8". Told him it was too small but he replied , exterior is 8 ft. And it is when you measure from beading to beading!. I was a bit angry but paid balance and left him go, told him shed was s..t and he had conned me. Examined shed in a bit more detail and he has raised height on shed by about 6 ins by placing wooden chocks on all the bricks, and lowered height by 6 ins and length is not 16' ft on exterior. Its 15' 9". I paid a top price as well.

I should add that the reason he drilled holes for cables was that he could place a board at front to hide height of shed from ground.

Its a website company and receipt has all details on it.

Have I any recourse to get some comeback? I paid deposit by cheque and balance by cheque but he did have the cheek to ask me for half of balance in cash but when I saw job I just gave him cheque.

I'm just galled that a guy recommended by a friend should take advantage. How much does he save in real terms? I've lost 128sq ft of space.

Help.

This may sound harsh but did you not have an opportunity to see this type of structure erected anywhere, that way you could guarantee it would suit your needs, query fitting of door to the side you would like, fit your storage racks etc

It may be a web company but I'm sure the sheds are available somewhere in real life.

It is common for sheds to be raised above the ground in the manner you describe, it reduces dampness.

In short I cannot see how you can progress this, perhaps modify your fittings to suit.

It' bad form of him to hang door wrong side after you asking him looks like he didn't give a site maybe you can get a friend or family member to sort out few bits for you. As for the size not much you can do about that now just keep it tidy 90% of sheds in the country are full of crap

Why did you pay him in full when he'd not provided what you wanted, and hadn't followed your instructions?

It is common for sheds to be raised above the ground in the manner you describe, it reduces dampness.

Unless there's a concrete base installed with a DPM, they must be raised to allow ventilation or the floor joists will rot in no time.

and worst of all the shed interior was too small to take my storage racks, ie it was 5' 5" at wall. I measured interior width and it was less than 8 foot, it was7' 8". Told him it was too small but he replied , exterior is 8 ft.

Wooden sheds are always measured externally, and pretty much all providers round their figures to the nearest foot. Did you get a chance to inspect one of their sheds prior to committing to ensure it met your requirements?

Examined shed in a bit more detail and he has raised height on shed by about 6 ins by placing wooden chocks on all the bricks, and lowered height by 6 ins

How much above ground level are the bricks? How was the height lowered by 6"?

I've lost 128sq ft of space.

Do you mean cubic feet of floor area?

Door was to be hung on left with bolt lock high up.

That should have been specified in advance, at delivery would be too late to change many designs. If it was specified, you should have refused delivery. You can ask him now to come and correct that, but having paid full price, it may be difficult to get him to comply. The Small Claims Court is an option, but again, you might never collect even if they do find in your favour.

Thanks all. I was done plain and simple. I've recovered and will survive and yes the only option is the small claims but they won't pay. And I found out a bit more info about the installer.

For clarity I may add a bit more tomorrow.

Back