Bad behaviour on beaches

Dont people that have been given community service do things like this....clean up beaches/parks ect.

Is this still actually done? If not would be a good idea to bring it back..that way the council doesn't have to pay to get it done.

The biggest thing that gets on my neves as others have pointed out is leaving your trays and rubbish on tables WHEN THERE IS A BIN ON YOUR WAY OUT!!!

I just dont get it. I would never dream of leaving anything on a table even if it is just macdonalds. I dont even need to tell my kids anymore to do it, it's habit for them. I even go as far to use a napkin and wipe up anymess that they have made. Althought think i might have gone too far as they actually like cleaning up after other people. Espicially in KFC cause they have the bins that are motion sensored, they still think it's brilliant that the bin door opens it's self!

Dont people that have been given community service do things like this....clean up beaches/parks ect.

Is this still actually done? If not would be a good idea to bring it back..that way the council doesn't have to pay to get it done.

You don't need to be sentenced to community service to get involved- you can actually volunteer. See-

http://www.nationalspringclean.org/index.php?pagetype=home

If you register you get a free spring clean pack.

I was referring to the post from tarfhead, sorry i should of put that in last post as well for it to make sense.

According to the RTE News last night, Fingal CC have declared that they cannot afford to pay for people to clean the beaches, or for the bins to be emptied.

i'll have a look at that link that you posted as well. I've got experience lol you should see the front of my house every green bin day that i have to clean up.

On a positive note, the Volvo Ocean Race Village and surrounding docks area in Galway was noticeably free and clear of rubbish of any kind, probably due to the presence of a large amount of bins-indeed if you go abroad, the one thing that sets us apart is the lack of bins on the street..

daithi

The message has to be:

"Please bring your litter home with you"

Why do litter bins have to be provided at a cost to the taxpayer?

Marion

We always bring a rubbish bag with us when we go out for picnics etc. I mean it is our rubbish after all so it goes in our bin when we get home, what's the big deal with doing that? On the nappies thing, I have seen people leaving dirty nappies behind them in libraries

Agree completely with all comments except those pertaining to MacDonalds. They want to call themselves a restaurant - fair enough; but this means the customers don't have to clean up after themselves. If they call themselves a "fast food joint" and reduce their prices I'll happily do my own cleanup.

I read a story about a child running on a beach last week who walked on a buried disposable barbecue that someone had left in the sand - the poor little girl will prob have to have skin grafts for the burns she received. How stupid can a person be to bury a red hot barbecue in the sand on a public beach ??

Also it amazes me when i walk through St. Stephen's Green every fine day
to see so much litter left around after lunchtime when there are plenty of bins provided - I reckon the average person has to pass at least two bins on their way out of the park !! would these people leave their litter on the ground around their desks as casually ?

MRS SLF .

Last edited by a moderator:

I was thinking the post was too sensible to be Mr. SLF

+1. I was horrified by the story of that little girl. It disgusts me to see how some people litter public areas. It says a lot that the topic last week in the media was that various public bodies do not have the resources to employ people to clean beaches etc. What ever happened to the idea that we should clean up after ourselves??
Some posters have mentioned 'the nappies issue'! Let me tell you a brief story-I was out one evening last week for a walk when I saw a guy beside a litter bin, unpacking used nappies (several!!) from the tray of the buggy, into the litter bin. I suppose I should be glad that he didnt throw them around the nearest street/ beach/ public area??

I suppose I should be glad that he didnt throw them around the nearest street/ beach/ public area??

Well, yes, I suppose you should. I know I would be. What exactly was the problem there? There's nothing wrong with using litter bins to dispose of any rubbish while you're out and about.

Well, yes, I suppose you should. I know I would be. What exactly was the problem there? There's nothing wrong with using litter bins to dispose of any rubbish while you're out and about.

I thought that you couldn't use public litter bins for 'general household waste' though - I'm sure nappies would qualify as this.

Itb would make you ashamed to be Irish

Why would it, I hate all this crap about 'things being Irish' when it's always in the negative. Is littering an Irish habit? no, it's a bad habit carried out by a multitude of races, nationalities etc.

I thought that you couldn't use public litter bins for 'general household waste' though - I'm sure nappies would qualify as this.

Yeah but I think that's pointed more at people who live in towns and have public bins outside their door ( I know some people who use these bins for all their rubbish, nothing ever done about it).

If you're out and about with a baby/wee toddler you can easily end up with several soiled nappies within a very short period. I would have thought it entirely normal to dispose of these in public bins- I've often done it myself in the past when I needed the space under the buggy to buy groceries or whatever.

I think if the nappy is soiled en route it is OK. But not if it is brought from the house to be dumped. Likewise any rubbish. But I have seen people putting domestic rubbish in public bins and think it is mean.

I think if the nappy is soiled en route it is OK. But not if it is brought from the house to be dumped. Likewise any rubbish. But I have seen people putting domestic rubbish in public bins and think it is mean.

This is what it looked like to me that this guy was doing.