Backpacking

Hans

Hi hope in in right section for this question. I have a daughter in her 20's who wants to take a career break for 6 months starting this September/October and go traveling, it is not a good time for her friends right now to go with her she says she will go alone but wouldn't mind having a companion. Does anyone know of a website where she might be able to link up with a like minder person I'd be surprised if there are not other people in her situation.

You should try www.travellerspoint.com. Great site for anyone thinking of travelling.

I did some travelling myself in Oz, passing through Thailand and a few more spots. Im mid 20s male and travelled with 2 friends.

I can say that in Oz there is plenty of 20 something females travelling alone.
But its so easy to meet people in the same situation, both male and female, so meeting up with people is easy, finding people to travel with is easy.

She should plan to stay in smaller hostels where its easy to meet people.

In general, Irish and the British are easy to meet and look out for one another in jobs, travel and company.
I know a good hostel in Melbourne so if she fancys it just pm me and I'll let you know.

I'm jealous.

I can also give my two cents. Theres a message board on the wall in USIT on Aston Quay in Dublin city centre which has always had a few travel offers.

Thank you all for this info I am passing it on to her - she is all excited planning the trip. I wont start breathing again until she comes home safe!!!

well my sister will be gone 2yrs at the end of june...went on her own and has been fine..mam worries but she has met people from home as she travelled as well as meeting new people along the way

Lots of people do it. If she is travelling to oz she should maybe try tnt magazine - a backpacking website not sure if its .com.au or what but worth checking out as there is usually a lot of ads/classifieds from backpackers touring oz plus a jobs bit. Probably her best opportunity will be when she gets there in the hostels a huge amount of notice boards with people in the same position.

Thank you all for this info I am passing it on to her - she is all excited planning the trip. I wont start breathing again until she comes home safe!!!

I can understand your worries for your daughter going off travelling but keep in mind she's one of thousands doing it. Myself and a female friend did it a few years back and we met up with plenty of single girls travelling alone. Whenever we stayed in hostels we made sure we stayed in a "female only" dorm. I've lost count of the amount of girls we met and not one had any negative tales to tell.

I met a woman 2 years ago who had the same concerns. I sat with her and her daughter and told them not to worry about it, just have a great time. I told the mother that her daughter was sure to meet up with some nice people and have the time of her life. She met a hunky Australian guy and is yet to return!

Thank you all that is very reassuring to hear all the positive replys.