Backpacking the Caribbean

Itchy

Thinking of seeing the Caribbean for a time this summer. Would anyone know is it possible to live cheap if you avoid the big tourist spots and would it be prohibitivly expensive to island hop? Rough prices were $100-120 for a 15 minute ferry flight, very expensive if you were to do that 8-9 times.

I would say for backpacking in that area Cuba, Mexico or Venezuela would be good places to go to ... The smaller Caribbean Islands aren't that geared up for back packer style travel I don't believe - and the prices I think are pretty prohibitive for budget traveling.

Thats what I was thinking Doc. Anyone have any experience or other recommendations on how to see the area?

Learn to sail!!

I sailed in a large group of boats from the Canaries to the Caribbean a few years ago. Its an event called The ARC. We then sailed on our own through the islands over a period of 4 weeks. It was a fantastic trip and not expensive because (a) we had our own accommodation (b) we ate on board a lot and (c) it was not my boat so I did not have to pay all the acquisition and maintenance costs. We split all running costs.

I did not get an impression of it being backpacking territory ( Guadaloupe, Dominica, Antigua, Martinique) more Cruise Ship territory where US tourists drop off, are whizzed around in air con coaches and then return to luxury ships. We were in marinas though and I formed a very strong impression of being barricaded from the real islands. I loved the weather but would be reluctant to return to that area because of the feeling/perception of being kept apart. I specifically hated Antigua apart from the wonderful buildings and facilities in Nelsons Dockyard and English Harbour. Rich mans paradise and poor mans window shopping at its best.

mf

Back