Backpacking Insurance (Already A VHI Customer)

RockSolid

Hi All,

Have VHI cover with my work.

Going on RTW trip looking for the cheapest backpacker insurance for 12 months, can i get a discount from being a VHI customer with a travel insurer, but obviously when i leave work my VHI cover will go. Will this affect my policy?

Any info really appreciated

You need to check your particular policy but if you are out of the country for more than 90 days your VHI cover will be invalid.

If you take out something like VHI's Multi Trip Travel Insurance (or any other insurer's multi-trip policy) the maximum length of any one trip is typically 30 days. What you need is an Extended stay policy, and that will cost a fair bit more, depending on the level of cover required.

Insurancebookers.ie throws up a quote of for 12 months' worldwide cover, but you may find better deals.

try the global product its for people going travelling for more then 6months. The cost depends on your age and where you are travelling to.

The multi-trip travel that was mentioned is only for holidays abroad not travelling. If you Vhi policy is cancelled then you will hve the full underwriting and waiting periods when you return.

Getcover.com offer a discount if your with VHI, i found them very reasonable.

Be careful. Am with Blue insurance (AXA). I Am in Oz and tried to claim for emergency surgery for GF. They said was not emergency and if it is go to a public hospital. Both the private route and the public route said it was an emergency and had to be an operation asap. Because the private route cost 10K AXA said go public. While this is ok in theory there was no guarantee that public route would not be met with waiting lists or delays. Luckily it has worked out well in the end but no thanks to AXA. It proved to me that it was pointless getting insurance in the first place and will be looking for refund.