Backed into a Rav4 07

TillyD

Hi guys,

I backed into a 07 Rav4 this morning. The lady was in the shop when it happened and I waited for her to come out. My bumper hit hers. No damaged seems to be done to my car, only a scuff mark on the plastic part. Her's has a mark from my bumper and they rang to say the paint is damaged too and they will have to take it to a toyota garage to get it fixed, which is fair enough. The mark is about 1 inch long by a 1cm max. There maybe a small dent too. I think I seen a dent in it but they never said on the phone.

My problem is I don't know if we can afford to pay for this to fix it or will we have to go through our insurance. If I thought it was going to be a couple of hundred we would be able to pay out but if it's any more we won't.

Has anyone any idea of what this might cost?

And can any one tell me if I ring the insurance today to report it but don't claim in the long term will it go against me with future insurance cover?

Thanks... Tilly.

I would have thought around €300 for the respray + labour + Vat . so maybe around €600 would be right.

I'd suggest you get on to a local Toyota garage first thing in the morning (because that's where she is going to bring it) and describe the damage to the Rav4, and ask them if they could give you a ball park figure for total cost of repair.

Then phone a body paint/repair garage and do the same.

If the second figure is lower (i've a feeling it might), you could ask the owner if she'd consider bringing it to either the one you phoned or similar. She may be unwilling to do this, as is her right... but no harm trying.

At least that way you'll know what bill to expect before she contacts you again, and you may be in a position to reduce your bill.

In and around the 600 euro mark.

Yeah I would say this sounds about right too. I had a similar accident and the cost was around that. Make sure you get a written quote from the lady and then bring it to another Toyota garage for them to look at.

If you can pay for the damage yourself, can you agree to pay their chosen garage direct rather than the Rav owner ?

I ask as few years ago I scraped a neighbour’s new car with a wheelbarrow. Similar type of damage, scratch, paint cracked, only noticeable up very close, if it was me I’d of let it go but I damaged it, my fault, they are entitled to get it fixed wherever they wish, don’t want fall out with the neighbours etc so I paid the €540 cash as per the Ford garage estimate.

That scratch is still there today.

No one likes their car being scratched but time is a great healer, it might become insignificant as they accumulate more scratches, and they might never get round to getting it fixed.

Your NCB and ability to change insurers are most likely worth more than the cost of this scratch,so if possible best to sort out privately.

If you're settling it privately whether they then go and actually get it fixed should be up to them. Equally, the choice of garage is up to the 'victim'

A woman hit my drivers side mirror a few years ago, I was in the car at the time. She kept driving after hitting it even though I drove after her flashing my lights for her to stop. She never stopped so I took her reg number and went to the gardai. They called to her house that evening and she admitted liability. I got an estimate which was around €150. When the gardai gave it to her she insisted that I should get it repaired myself and she would pay me after seeing the receipt, wasn't that sweet comming from her as she left the scene of an accident. You can insist on the owner of the rav4 getting it repaired first then you pay them after seeing the receipt at least you waited till she returned to her car.

You can insist on the owner of the rav4 getting it repaired first then you pay them after seeing the receipt at least you waited till she returned to her car.

I would have serious issues with being dictated to by the person who damaged my car, being in any way out of pocket, and advancing that person credit.

I would have serious issues with being dictated to by the person who damaged my car, being in any way out of pocket, and advancing that person credit.
I am saying what happened to me. The gardai also said that I would have to repair the car myself first.

In 2006 , i was hit from behind when i was parked stationary. Long story short , i was in a volkswagen passat (which i miss dearly), but the golf that hit me went under my bonnet, the end result was a scratch right through to the steel, i brought it to a garage and was shocked at the price to fix it as it was only a 1 inch slim scratch, 250 euro.

allowing for inflation id say about 350 now?

well the back bonnet !! i call it bonnet, what do others call it ?? the back of the car i suppose lol !! sorry!

no , not a yank , boot it is then !!! i was on a hill parked and the golf went under the boot

If you're settling it privately whether they then go and actually get it fixed should be up to them. Equally, the choice of garage is up to the 'victim'

That’s fair enough if they got the car repaired as per the estimate, the estimate included replacement car and VAT, so the actual repair cost was probably only around €350.

Don’t think its right they get the replacement car money and the VAT if they choose not to get their car repaired.

They are entitled to the value of the repair. Whether they get it repaired or not is up to them.

You may as well you hit the other car, its a write off, therefore not getting repaired so you shouldn't owe them anything. (Extreme example I admit)

Thank you all for the advice. I like the idea of going to a non toyota guy to get a quote. There is a well known guy from the area that is known for fixing up cars for half the price of some of the garages. Otherwise I may prepare for 6/700e. I'm sick as a pig over it. God that's the price of a week in the sun for me. The husband rang to say he is away on holidays this week but he will get back to me in 2 weeks time. He thanked me for being so honest and said he won't be ripping me off in anyway. Seems like a really nice man. Still that won't make the bill any cheaper.

Thank you all for the advice. I like the idea of going to a non toyota guy to get a quote.

What a non-Toyota guy says has little relevance...the 'victim' is entitled to get their car fixed in the garage of their choosing. Naturally this will be a recognised 'official' Toyota garage who will by definition charge more.