Back up and restore software?

censuspro

Can anyone recommend any back up and restore software or freeware? Windows 7 back up seem to save the files in individual zip folders labelled by number so it's hard to find the info you want to restore.

It may be that the photos are not captioned properly after import. Try that.
If you are backing up to an external drive you can use an open source program like Areca Backup. Areca uses Java and various backup options including full, incremental and differential. It also offers encryption and other archive options. It is not the only option.
Look around and find out what works for you.There are several other free applications. Look at the reviews on CNET.com.
If you want to backup online use Google's Picasa. They give you some free space but additional storage is dirt cheap. With Picasa you can organise you photos and do some basic editing and then upload to online storage.
Microsoft gives you 25Gb online storage through Windows Live.
Yahoo.com gives you unlimited storade for emails. This includes e.mails with photo attachments. So set up a Yahoo Account, email the photos to yourself @yahoo.com. Organise them in folder and that's that. My personal favourite is Picasa.
Have fun!
Happy Christmas to all!

Some additional info - hope it is of use:
How do I view the contents of my backup?
You can view the contents of your backup by opening the Restore Files wizard.

Open Backup and Restore by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Backup and Restore.

Do one of the following:

To view your files, click Restore my files.

To view all users' files, click Restore all users' files. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Do one of the following:

To browse the contents of the backup, click Browse for files or Browse for folders.

When you are browsing for folders, you won't be able to see the individual files in a folder. To view individual files, use the Browse for files option.

To search the contents of the backup, click Search, type all or part of a filename, and then click Search.