Back boiler heating system

massey2

Hi all,

Recently I build a new house and am just living in it a couple of weeks before christmas. I got a back boiler installed during the building of the house. now when i want to heat the house i either have to light the fire or have the oil heating on. I cannot have the two on together or you would think that the pipes were going to blow up (very scary). The back boiler is not sending heat around the radiators for some strange reason. I taught that was the point of a back boiler.

I know I could just put the heating on and forget about the fire but there is nothing more cosy than sitting at an open fire.

The heating comes on for an hour and a half before I come home but the heat is gone out of the house and radiators about 10 mins after the heating goes off.

Is there an insulation problem, plumbing problem?

Any help is much appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Re: New house

We have just had a back boiler removed - they don't really add that much value to a house (even if you have a fire much of the heat escapes because up the back boiler so you will never have a truely toasty warm room) and yes the noise when you have both the oil and fire on at the same time is scarey!...
You could check if you have an airlock somewhere???

Re: New house

The system should have been set so a thermostat tells the oil when to kick in or out, depending on the heat of your back boiler. If the back boiler isnt sending heat throught to the rads then there is a blockage problem and the system may need to be bled.... contact your plumber and get him to look at this.. the problem may be more serious.

My mother has a back boiler and the heat is great in the sitting room and the radiators thats why I decided to put one in.

The electrication came out and put a thermostat that tells the oil when to kick in or out but the stats only come on when the back boiler pump comes on but it only stays on for bout 2 mins. Should he of charged me to do this or should if of been pard of the builders contract.

Back