Back boiler - any point in putting one in?

*rose

We are in the process of figuring out what sort of heating we will put into our 3000 sq ft storey and a half. we have looked into all the alternative heat sources and have decided we will go along those lines.

We have decided against geothermal (ESB costs) and would like to put in a wood chip burner (but we never put a garage in the plans)

We were also thinking of putting in a back boiler as well as the wood chip as we love the look of a natural fire and could make use of it.

Definitely going to put in the solar panels (free hot water in the summer!)

Have a few questions - has anyone any experience / advice??

Has anyone put in a back boiler recently? Is there much point to it anymore?
Can you put in a back boiler as well as the wood chips?
Can you lay down pipes for a wood chip without having the garage built? (We will have to wait for the house to be built before building the garage.)

Also are thinking we will go with underfloor heating ... even though we have heard there can be problems and the floors have to be taken up then ...

Thanks - all advice appreciated! B & R

My advice is to put ina solid fuel/multi-fuel stove. We have gas and this stove in a 2500 3 storey house and could not fault it. The stove is connected to our cental heating so it heats the entire house and we rarely turn on the gas.

John

I would not recommend a back boiler in an open fire, they tend not to give out much heat in the room its in.
You can build a garage up to 25msq without planning!!

I would not recommend a back boiler in an open fire, they tend not to give out much heat in the room its in.

Totally disagree !!!
We got one put into our open fire in a new house and it's a wise move. If you plan to have a fire lit during the winter evenings, then you can save on oil and let the bb keep the rads warm. It's not gonna heat the house unless it's on all day but why waste the energy ?? It does NOT take the heat from the room as the damper can face the flames out to the room and STILL heat the bb. You can, if you wish have the flames go up the back away from the room but this is only viable if you are using it as your only means of c.h. I know they're not terribly efficient but you'll regret it in the long run if you don't put one in at the beginning imo.
Grant are apparently the best make. We paid (I think) €350 or so for a 16" one. If you plan on using the open fire (like we do, every few days) then it's well worth it.

But even with an open fire the effeciency is only 20-30% where as with a stove it's 70%.If heating is the primary aim of the boiler then the stove is the way to go...you can also get built in stoves so they don't sit out on the floor...

Back