babysitting rates

minkydog

Just wondering what the going rate for a babysitter in the country outside Tuam would be. Local student who lives down the road is going to babysit my two kids the odd night but not sure what to pay her. I asked her how much she wanted and she said she did not mind about that!! Don't want to get it wrong so all advice appreciated

In country area not far from tuam where neighbor pays family member €25 for four (8 to 14) for full night. Drops her home around 12 the next day. She does get nice Christmas pressies etc.

€8 an hour is huge money in my eyes.

I am in the country in Donegal, we would normally give €30 for approx 8 to 1, babysitter is 16 years old, kids are sleeping before we go out.

I think that's plenty, he certainly seems pleased with it, especially considering kids can't really get any part time work like they used to.

I pay €8 p/h for mine, but that is for 3 young children, and she is qualified, garda vetted, 1st aider etc etc. Well worth it.

I am in the country in Donegal, we would normally give €30 for approx 8 to 1, babysitter is 16 years old, kids are sleeping before we go out.

I think that's plenty, he certainly seems pleased with it, especially considering kids can't really get any part time work like they used to.

I would never get a boy/young man to babysit.

That's a terrible thing to say.

I have known this teenager all his life, he's known my kids since they were babies, I know all of his family and friends. His mum is one of my best friends.

I trust him far more than some random stranger teenager who would happen to be female.

I have known this teenager all his life, he's known my kids since they were babies, I know all of his family and friends. His mum is one of my best friends.

I trust him far more than some random stranger teenager who would happen to be female.

Most cases of abuse happen in exactly this senario. If it was my son I would not put him in a position where he is alone with kids.

I would never get a boy/young man to babysit.

Neither would I, a definite NO NO.

I have come across too many awful stories in my time about boy/man babysitters

Most cases of abuse happen in exactly this senario. If it was my son I would not put him in a position where he is alone with kids.

Utterly shocking posts...

Utterly shocking posts...

It may be shocking but A significant number of cases of child abuse happen in exactly these circumstances. Ask any social worker etc. Don't shoot the messenger.

Don't want to get off topic and start loads of posts full of conflict and bile so I am getting out at this point.

I pay 10 per hour for one child in Dublin who is in bed when the babysitter comes and doesn't wake up. I'm usually out for 5 hours so it's 50 quid a night. Admittedly pricey but then a night out is a rare thing these days.

thanks to all those who replied we were thinking of about 30 for a short night (back by or close to 12 and 50 if a really late one . to those who are discussing Male sitters - thanks for hijacking the post perhaps you could start your own tread if you want to go off topic as it does tend to stop some replies to the original question.

In country area not far from tuam where neighbor pays family member €25 for four (8 to 14) for full night. Drops her home around 12 the next day. She does get nice Christmas pressies etc.

€8 an hour is huge money in my eyes.

I think this is really really low and is done more as a favour than an actual baby sitting.
25 € for 4 kids for a full night???? Why bother?

Apologies, I did not finish my post: if it is really a baby sitting: I would not bother but if it was helping out a friend (well would not expect payment) but if payment involved then yes, ok, 25 euro is ok for the acknowledgement/thanks.

Back