Babysitters - what are they charging these days?

Mel

Can anyone let me know what they are paying teenaged babysitters for a few hours on a weekend night?
Are there rules about times, minimum wage etc.?
This is for minding one 9 year old - who doesn't need minding so much as supervising. It is near Cork city.

Thanks!

Thanks Clubman, when i googled that site didn't open, but your link worked.

My 16-year-old daughter usually gets between €7 and €10 per hour (the lower end of the scale for minding a single 9-year-old boy, higher for more/younger kids or where very late hours are involved). We're in Limerick city.

In Dublin, €10 an hour would be about average. Some people also charge a bit more after midnight (although I think that's a bit greedy myself).

Thanks for that!
Gosh, when you consider a taxi could cost €20/25 each way if you want to have a drink, then €10 for each hour / part of hour that you're out... you could be talking €80/100 before you even buy a cinema ticket or a drink!
Back to the drawing board I think...

friends of mine swap babysitting with mate, ie they mind the 2 kids one night and the mate minds them the next

no babysitting costs for either!

Whose house do they do the sitting at? How do they work around keeping the children out late? It's a good idea alright if the logistics work..

Our babysitter gaet between 25-30 ruto for the night depning on how many hours.don't pay an hourly rate as such but it would be from approx 9:30 - 1am most nights and we pay 5 euro for a taxi to take both us and her home ( very near to town but get the taxi for dropping the babysitter) This is in a small town in Cork.
My kids are aged 5 and 3 and are always asleep and she would ring us if they were unsettled to come home as always fairly nearby. If a later night was planned or going further afield will ask my mother to do it for the princely sum of a cup of tea and some chocolate.

My 16 year old cousin babysits a lot in her neighbourhood. She gets €20 an hour! I'm originally from the same area and used to babysit there years ago but don't remember the pay being so good! It's a fairly "affluent" place in Dublin ... but still €20 an hour totally shocked me. She usually earns €80 to €100 a night. Crazy!

These figures seem off the scale compared to the rates in our neck of the woods - usually €20-€25 in total for 2-3 hours (ie 9 or 10 till 12 or 1 or so)

I think I might give up my day job! Where does your cousin live???

Any use :

[broken link removed]

I see a few babysitters and not just nannies advertising on it.

We pay €10 for three kids to me minded. They are usually in bed when we go out so the babysitter just has to eat popcorn and watch Sky Movies.

My 16 year old cousin babysits a lot in her neighbourhood. She gets €20 an hour!

So, we'll get a babysitter in for about €10/hr and head to Castleknock "village"...the rich part, and net a €30/hr profit. Happy days (or nights)!!