Baby number 4

alert

Hi all,

we own a Renault Megane Scenic, which, currently, does suffice quite adequately for ourselves, our three children and all our "extras", (shopping, luggage, bikes, etc).

Now, last week, we discovered that we are due a new addition, after we got over our joy, surprise, etc, it dawned on us that our Scenic would no longer suffice. I would appreciate if anyone could advise on the best car, (probably MPV), for a young family, (eldest child 7), consisting of 2 adults and 4 children.

Thank you,

ALERT.

The very same position as myself....
In addition we have the need to stow a double-buggy for twins and a large dog.
A key issue for us, is to find a SUV/MPV with reasonable boot space for the above when 6 or 7 seats are "up".
All of the SUVs (Volvo, Hyundai, Land Rover, Nissan...) failed the double buggy + dog test, so we are left with the MPVs of Chrysler (Grand Voyager), Renault (Grand Espace) and the scary-looking Rodius from Ssangyong...

If you don't have a significant luggage requirement, then most of the larger MPVs (Galaxy, Alhambra etc..) would fit the bill.
Be sure to post if you find anything suitable...

Fiat Multipla is a six seater with a reasonable boot as well. Easily passes the kids and buggy test, and furthermore all the kids can see out of the very large windows, which they lilke.

Lots of people don't like or trust Fiats, but its worth at least a look. It's a lot cheaper than an SUV.

d

have a look at the Toyota Previa,i know somebody who has one and i have driven it and it drives like a dream.

Honda FRV.

Same layout as Fiat Multipla, six seats (3+3), but that's where the comparison ends really. Much more attractive (exterior & interior) and of course it's a Honda so it'll last for centuries!

Due to our ridiculous taxation system (don't get me started!) Honda only offers the 1.7 petrol in Ireland (brilliant 2.2 diesel in UK, same as in the Accord), but performance is pretty good.

Check out Parkers:

[broken link removed]

Hope this helps.

D.

Congratulations on number 4. Don't buy a FIAT, too many problems. Don't buy any 6-seater or you could be in the same position in 2 years time needing an extra seat. A 7-seater should future proof your family transport needs. If you can afford it you should look at a Toyota Previa diesel, the new ones are very expensive, or an Alhambra. A friend of mine recently bought a 97 Previa jap-import 2.2 diesel which was spotless and low mileage (not that you can trust these things) for a bit less than €9k. I have a Grand Scenic which mops up my 4 little ones without a problem. Even with all 7 seats up I can put two ADDIS boxes in the boot with a 29" Maclaren side-by-side double buggy on top and 3 or 4 full Superquinn bags on top of the buggy. I suspect that you will get more for your car if you trade-in with a Renault dealer.

Back