BA Baggage charges (RO?)

ontour

British Airways will charge 252 euro for an additional bag on a long haul flight even if you are within your weight limit. It makes Ryanair and aer lingus look like they are asking for loose change !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6341129.stm

PS. It may only be considered a RO if it is introduced as planned on Feb 13th and you had booked your flight before the announcement.

Yes but that's return long-haul and there continues to be no charge for one large item of baggage (up to 32Kg). International and domestic are relatively less.

Isn't this part of the rationalisation of excessive carbon creation? To be honest, seeing what some folk carry on board when travelling from Stanstead to Dublin 'excess baggage' isn't a strong enough term. Seems reasonable to me given the environmental effect of reduced emissions.

Most people only carry one bag anyway but the allowance will be brought down from 32kg to 23kg.

I think it is reasonable to charge for extra bags but £240 return for a long haul flight; that is ridiculous, you are paying at least 50% on top of your original fare if that is the case.

According to a BBC report long haul flights to the USA, Canada, the Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will be exempt from the new charges to bring policy "in line with the local government regulations" what are the regulations that prevent BA from levying this additional charge on flights to these countries ?

I am with Marie on this one. some of the people at airports remind me of those photographs of people travelling by ship 100 years ago.

The part that I disagree with is the fact that it promotes one large bag over two smaller bags. I have heard many times about the impact to baggage handlers of heavy bags so I would have thought that two 11kg or whatever is half of that airlines allowance for that class would make for easier handling.

The second concern I have is the increasing lack of transparency/ clarity in the cost of air travel. The difference between the cost of the ticket and the total cost of the journey is growing.

Back