Awards - Any real indication?

D

DreamingOfA

Hi all,

Recently I saw a couple of institutions advertising that they were winners of some awards.
To be honest I can't remember now what awards these were - (anyone else see these?). But are these awards or any financial industry awards any real indication to performance???

D

Yes these are type of awards I'm talking about...

With my SSIA up soon - I'm looking at where to invest & also my pension could be doing a lot better (Currently it is up 5% after 14months - and I've seen pension funds talking about 10% as being the 'average' - past performance not a guide etc...).
So e.g. in these awards they have investment, pension, mortgage, property, etc...

Would these awards (or any other ones out there) be a good (perhaps 'real' is a better word) indicator or even a pointer as to where I should talk to???

You would be better off looking at minimising charges while getting the service level that you need and selecting funds that match your specific individual needs. For get about awards etc.

I agree. If you check the link posted by Clubman, you can see that lots of awards are given out. It appears to me that quite a few companies will be able to state for the next year that they won XYZ award there - not many went home empty handed! That alone would lead me to believe that the awards are not much use for differentiating between investment managers.

Yep. Agree. Awards are a load of rubbish.

Usually one for everybody in the audience. Paid for by the "winners"

We should set up a listing on dubious awards e.g. for starters

- Car of the Year
- Airline of the Year
- Wine awards (all of them!)

Back