Avoiding the single supplement on a cruise?

queenlex

Anyone know if you can book a cruise with the dreaded single supplement and then get a room mate to avoid the single supplement or sell a share of the room at a discount after paying the full (two person) price by yourself?

Many thanks for any help as this is something I really want to do.

The single supplement is often high enough to be almost the price of a twin room, so I guess you could book a twin in the name of yourself & Mr/Ms "Smith" & hope to find someone who shares your somewhat relaxed attitude to room-sharing in the confines of a cruise ship cabin.
Once you have found said cabin-mate, you could pay the cruise co. for a name-change. (Check carefully that they allow name-changes though.)

Just remember that if you & your as yet un-named roomie don't get on, you'll have no alternative place to go to avoid each other.

Is it a double or a twin room?

Could you charge a daily / nightly fee for entry and recoup some of the costs? ;)

Some travel agents/holiday companies offer a "room mate" service, where they will try to match up single travellers in order to save them the single supplement (I know CIE tours offers this). If they can't match you with another single traveller, they absorb the single supplement.

A friend of mine went on holiday some years ago and was matched with another single traveller, she said she'd never do it again and would rather pay the extra!

Last edited:
Back