Key Post Avoid M50 Penalty Charges - Get a Video Account

onq

Once again I got burned crossing and re-crossing the Toll Bridge on the M50.
This time I said I'd do something about it and rang them up to suss out their account options.
I had previously read their website but only noticed a type of account which had standing charges.

Today I spoke to Stephanie, who advised me that a Video Account was most suited to the needs of infrequent travellers like myself.
It turns out that infrequent travellers are the people who most often pay the penalty charges.
Probably because we don't develop the habit of it, y'see...

The benefits of the Video Account are:

• There are no account charges
  • You are only charged for the journey
  • The amount is automatically charged to the account you specify.
I specified my credit card account.
Usual number, expiry date, name and security number to clear the current €12 charge.
Then the same details again + name address and contacts to set up the current account.
As I have yet to received the account documentation the above is based on what I was told/remember this morning.

I had previously held off setting up the account on my previous bad burn (€145 or so for two) because I didn't want the standing charge account.
This kind of account actually makes sense for frequent users and if you are such you should consider setting it up.
The number to ring for all accounts is 1890 50 10 50.

I have no connection to this company and I have posted here previously about the outrageous charges for the second penalty charge.
I just hope this helps you all avoid these charges in the future because the charges for missing the second reminder are onerous.

ONQ.

I set up a video account when the barriers came down and have both our cars on the 1 account. I'd only use the M50 maybe 4 times a month and OH uses it less. We fly quite a bit so handy for airport trips. They send me a statement via email each month and I haven't had any problems with them at all.

I set up a video account when the barriers came down and have both our cars on the 1 account. I'd only use the M50 maybe 4 times a month and OH uses it less. We fly quite a bit so handy for airport trips. They send me a statement via email each month and I haven't had any problems with them at all.

Great to hear someone has had a positive experience with them.

It seemed like the obvious choice for my relatively infrequent use but there's always a doubt when signign up to a new account

ONQ.

I went through the toll there last year(?) i dont go to dublin often and i was attending a wedding party. I didn't even know that i went through it!! I got a letter from them saying i didnt pay the fee and there's a penalty charge.

I went to their website and request for a dispute. So i waited about two weeks, got a letter saying that they're sure that i went through the toll and now the penalty charge was like over 90euros!

I called the customer service and asked about that whether i went through the toll or not,and he said I did. Then he asked me to open an account with them video or tag one,it doesnt matter. And he will just be able to cancel the penalty fee and charge 5euros from the account.
Of course I agreed! I got the video account cause there's no point letting them charge you one euro per month for nothing!

I think it's a bit stupid that when you passed the toll you have so little time to find a shop to pay if you dont have an account! and for people like me that didnt even know where that toll was its just ridiculous

Just did the same myself the other week ONQ....was fed up paying € per trip as opposed to €3!!

It's cheaper too with the video account (I think).

What company, eazypass, eflow?? operates this video system. Does it work on all Tolls. I have an account with eazypass and never heard of this interesting system.

The problem with the video account is what happens if they apply a charge in error?.. how do you get a refund?

In general, do you authorise each charge on your credit card?, or do you only authorise once when signing up? If so it seems you could dispute valid charges as easily as non-valid ones.. (from the credit card company's point of view, I can't imagine they'd be interested in viewing photos from a Toll company... and what other valid authorisations are there?)

Hi, I am a member of the eflow team. Eflow operate the barrier free tolling system on the M50 and one of our toll payment options is the video account system. Our system photographs your number plate for “video tolling” and charges your account accordingly. The video system is only operational on the M50.

A video account is the best option for infrequent users of the M50, it costs €2.50 per trip with no account management fee. Registering for our electronic tag is the best option for more frequent users and can be used on all toll roads in Ireland. If you have any queries with regard your account you should contact our contact centre on 1890 50 10 50.

We hope this helps.

Many thanks,
eflow

I went through the toll there last year(?) i dont go to dublin often and i was attending a wedding party. I didn't even know that i went through it!! I got a letter from them saying i didnt pay the fee and there's a penalty charge.

I went to their website and request for a dispute. So i waited about two weeks, got a letter saying that they're sure that i went through the toll and now the penalty charge was like over 90euros!

I called the customer service and asked about that whether i went through the toll or not,and he said I did. Then he asked me to open an account with them video or tag one,it doesnt matter. And he will just be able to cancel the penalty fee and charge 5euros from the account.
Of course I agreed! I got the video account cause there's no point letting them charge you one euro per month for nothing!

I think it's a bit stupid that when you passed the toll you have so little time to find a shop to pay if you dont have an account! and for people like me that didnt even know where that toll was its just ridiculous

First of all; there are plenty of big signs on approach and then after the toll stating that you have to pay a toll etc; you musn't have been paying too much attention to the road if you missed them all

Secondly, you have until 20:00 the following day to pay the toll (big signs state that by the way) whether it is online or in a shop so you have loads of time to pay it off

Agree fully.

I got lost the other day and knew that I was approaching the toll. I thought that I had left the motorway beforehand so wasn't sure whether I had gone through the toll or not.

I got back on the motorway to get back to my original route. On the way back, it was absolutely clear that I went through the toll.

I rang immediately and asked the operator but she could not tell me either as it was not a live system. I paid the one toll and got a bill yesterday for the second toll and the "fine" of €3.

Brendan

Agree fully.

I got lost the other day and knew that I was approaching the toll. I thought that I had left the motorway beforehand so wasn't sure whether I had gone through the toll or not.

I got back on the motorway to get back to my original route. On the way back, it was absolutely clear that I went through the toll.

I rang immediately and asked the operator but she could not tell me either as it was not a live system. I paid the one toll and got a bill yesterday for the second toll and the "fine" of €3.

First of all; there are plenty of big signs on approach and then after the toll stating that you have to pay a toll etc; you musn't have been paying too much attention to the road if you missed them all

There are so many signs, that it is simply not clear at what point you are going through the toll, on the way North. On the way South, it seemed clearer. I saw a sign along the lines of "You are going through the toll NOW".

Brendan

Back