Irish Life Health Aviva Mid-Term Cancellation Policy

Breaker

hi,

Has anyone heard of this before? It just does not seem right to me.

I was covered by Aviva in my job. My employer paid the premium and I paid BIK etc. Now I have changed employer and so obviously my premium is not covered by my old employer. So I was thinking fine, my cover would be cancelled and I may have to look for a new plan or not get a new plan.

Aviva send me a letter which gives me two options,

1. Continue to pay current rate with Aviva until end of current policy
2. Cancel and pay them €168 in the next 13 weeks! They give details of their "mid term cancellation policy" saying that I have to pay a cancellation fee of €25 and also €138 which is a "health insurance levy calculated on a pro-rata basis for each adult, student and child on your policy for the remainder of the policy term"

I think this is incredible, I am being penalised for changing job. And and they hold a gun to my head to try and keep me with them. I dont remember such a cancellation policy when I signed up with them, and my ex-employer never told me about this when leaving them.

The cheek of them makes me just want to quit them altogether, not give them a cent, never use them again and tell everyone what a shower of sharks they are!

Interested to hear what others think as I am not overly familiar with health cover plans. And people are changing jobs all the time, this is a nice little earner for them if everyone is paying this fee or even worse thinking they have to stay with them.

thanks

Its standard practice. They all do it now. And you are hardly being penalised for changing job. Thats a bit dramatic!

Are you intending to keep health insurance? If so Im sure they would be more than happy to transfer you off your employers scheme.

this is a nice little earner for them if everyone is paying this fee or even worse thinking they have to stay with them.

I assume they do not receive a refund of the "health insurance levy" from the government so they would not be profiting on this?

Back