Avis car rental

Ron Burgundy

Hi all,

I'm renting with Avis for the 1st time and am wondering is insurance included as part of the basic rental agreement.

There is a Loss Damage Waiver you can add on for 28 dollars a day, but i'm wondering do i need it and if i have baic insurance to start off with before it on to my rental ???

I've looked at their site but can't find an answer. I have previously dealt with alamo and insurance was part of the rental with no add on like Avis.

I think this should be in the holiday etc forum ???

Last edited:
Ron,

Insurance would be covered as standard. The Loss Damage Waiver is a different type of insurance - generally what happens on rentals is that it is covered like your car at home but with a bigger policy excess. So if you crashed your car in Ireland you would pay the 1st €250 of any claim but with rentals they tend to carry a higher excess of €2,500 normally.

By buying the LDW cover they reduce the excess to a normal rate in the event of an accident.

Hope that makes it clearer for ya!

Kind of, don't know to go for it or now. Never had it on a rental policy before i think ??

You can get an insurance policy to cover the excess as it can be very high. There is a worldwide cover available from carhireexcess.com where you can cover the risk....I reckon it works out cheaper than getting it from the rental, plus you can opt for worldwide annual cover, which is pobably good value if you are likely to take another trip in the year.

No link with the company, just seen it mentioned on AAM before