Avg free edition won't update

brid1977

I use Avg antivirus. When i try and update it I get a message saying 'server name cannot be converted to IP address' (it was updating automatically on start up but this has stopped). Avg is on list of exceptions on my firewall. Any suggestions on how I fix this - in non techie speak if possible please :)

Did something else change around the same time that this stopped working?
Are you sure that your PC has not been infected with malware etc. (see the "clean PC" sticky thread).
I might be inclined to try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Can you supply a few more details? What is your...
1. OS (e.g. Windows XP, Vista etc),
2. browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox etc) and
3. firewall (e.g. Norton, Zonealarm etc).

windows XP, internet explorer, Norton ( free subscription is out in 14 days which is why i really want the avg fixed). I tried uninstalling and re installing and i've run ad aware, spybot and crap cleaner. I did delete stuff from the startup menu because startup was really slow but I thought i was being really careful not to deleted anything important (followed the instructions on previous thread).

Are you running two anti-virus programs together? Not a good idea.Is your internet working ok otherwise? Try enabling one at a time the programs you disabled in the start up.Do you use e-bay? I ditched Norton and used AVG for a while but got really fed up with it and bought Kaspersky 7. Just bought one for a friend this evening €8!! Top class AV

Yes was using AVG + norton due to paranoia because the hard drive on last pc was wrecked by a virus. I was not planning to resubscribe to norton. Just tried a system restore to before i messed with the start up programs but avg still won't update :(

Is the Norton updating? System restore has NEVER worked for me.

No what I meant was the op could buy a different AV on e-bay. Lots of bargains to be got!!

Consider uninstalling both Norton & AVG and installing Avira AntiVir instead, the 'Classic' version is free and is reputed to be more effective than AVG or indeed Norton. Or go one better and pay for Kaspersky.

Kaspersky is definitely worth the money.Very affordable on ebay.Once its installed(very easy and quick) it just gets on with the job.I'll never use anything else again.

Back