AVG Antivirus 8.5 Free Software

WGT

Hi,
I've been using AVG Anti-virus 7.5 Free software for a few years and find it great. However, now I'm being prompted to download version 8.5 (as 7.5 will no longer be supported).
The problem is when I go to download it, it tells me that it won't work on Windows 2000 Professional (which is my operating system).
Does anyone know of any other good free anti-virus software. If at all possible I want to avoid the hassle of changing operating system (particularly as I have a new computer with Vista on it, but I still want to use the old one from time to time).

there's clamwin.com which I heard is ok but I've never used it.
I'd avoid an operating system upgrade, a win 2000 machine is presumably fairly old and probably wouldn't have the performance and memory to handle xp or vista.

Hi WGT. A number of the anti-virus companies will allow you to use their products on a trial basis for a few months. The full version, that is. I have a friend who kept moving from one to the other when they expired and he got a number of months out of it. (A cute boy from Cork!)

I also used to have AVG Free and later upgraded to the pay version. It was excellent but Norton (Symantec) came free with my current computer when I bought it and I've just continued paying it since. AVG didn't cause me any problems but the same cannot always be said about Norton, especially with the workings of Windows Mail. And it's very difficult to fully remove it from a computer if you want to try some other anti virus. It can be done but can be a drawn out process.

With regard to free anti virus, the link below might be a useful starting point.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/a/freeav.htm

P.S.
I just noticed that Mr. Magoo who posted before me is also from Cork. He's not the person I referred to above! :)

Back