Average wage

potnoodler

Hoping someone will provide a link to something I use, need to find out some stats on the salary scale of the workforce as a percentage
20%-€16-18k
10%-€20-24k
etc

It came up in a debate when a friend of mine stated that 40% of labour force are living off €16k or thereabouts, I really find that hard to believe but do hope he's wrong.

Have googled on www.cso.ie but nothing there only industry sectors.

If it helps,
I heard around the time of the budget that 4 out of 5 people are in the lower tax bracket, since the increase to €34k.

The http://www.finance.irlgov.ie/ViewDoc.asp?DocId=-1&CatID=2 (Department of Finance monthly economic bulletins) or the CSO website might contain some relevant info?

Average wage data is not published in Ireland.

Total income divided by population is about 36k per person.

The CSO do publish average earnings data for five sectors. See here: [broken link removed] and here for current releases [broken link removed]

Construction
Public sector
Financial sector
Industrial sector
Distribution and Business services

There was also a National Employment Survey for 2003 published by the CSO. See here: [broken link removed]

The average wage for employees was 16.41 euro per hour in March 2003. That's 640 pw or33k per year in 2003.

<LI class=tableHeading>Here is the income per head data.<LI class=tableHeading><LI class=tableHeading><LI class=tableHeading><LI class=tableHeading>National Income (Current Market Prices) €m
2005​

Gross Product GDP - per capita
39,016​
GNP - per capita
32,903​
GNI - per capita
33,340​

found the sector info alright , really curious about this now as the average can have very broad ranges

I would be very interested to see the actual distribution because I can never believe how high the average industrial wage is compared to what I know people actually earn. If you just look in your local paper, you will see the incredibly low wages (mostly marginally above the minimum wage) generally on offer.

I can only think that there are a smallish number of people on very high earnings and a large number on very low wages and that the so-called "average" of 33-36k frequently quoted is pretty much meaningless. Then of course there are the public sector workers...

All the best

Imogen

I heard around the time of the budget that 4 out of 5 people are in the lower tax bracket, since the increase to €34k.

I would guess it did not take too much research for whoever to state that.
It is simply the application of the 20%/80% rule, e.g. 80% below €34k, 20% above.

What do you mean by this?

I think he was referring to the fact that currently public service workers are massively overpaid compared with those in private industry. Remember on Eddie Hobbs programme a few months ago he pointed out that the difference between public sector pay and private secor is about 11,000 .... despite the other perks enjoyed by the public service , such as job security, pensions etc.

let's not turn this into another public sector rant please for the info you're looking for - income distribution, try the eu silc survey perhaps? (survey of income and living conds) formerly the living in ireland survey, which certainly contained details for the ratio of lower:upper decile etc iirc. AMECO, DG ECFIN's macro database will also give you compensation per employee is you're looking for that.

No - I don't really pay much attention to EH to be honest. If anybody can point to data from an objective/independent source supporting this argument I'd be interested.

Did Eddie also compare the relative level of education/qualifications between public & private?

the so-called "average" of 33-36k frequently quoted is pretty much meaningless.

All the best

Imogen

I was never noted for my skills as a statistician but surely the median rather than mean wage would be a more useful figure.

Did Eddie also compare the relative level of education/qualifications between public & private?

lol Yes, he did say ( in his Cork accent ) that "even though the public service are not as bright at least they can speak Irish".

.... only joking about that last comment - happy Christmas.

lol Yes, he did say ( in his Cork accent ) that "even though the public service are not as bright at least they can speak Irish".

.... only joking about that last comment - happy Christmas.

Oh Ho Ho Ho to Eddie & yourself for the Christmas. Eddie must have wet himself laughing at getting away with throwing out headline statistics without any explanation. The [broken link removed]that;

Well I suppose confounding factors would have to be taken into consideration. Such as;
- Experience
Maybe we could compile a survey?

we would have to exclude all the arts grads though, only useful education counts for this survey