Average Mileage

frash

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand car around 2001 - 2002

What's peoples opinions on how many miles per year is too many when buying a 2nd hand car?

I'd have thought around 12k per year was average but most cars I'm seeing are 20k + per year.

Thanks

I think the average mileage on cars is between 12K and 15K a year. However, it seems hard to find second hand cars that have that mileage on it - it does seem to be much higher mileage these days.

In Davy Stockbrokers "2020 Vision" report published in March 2006, they have statistics showing that the average car commute to work increased from 5.8 miles in 1996 to 10.8 miles in 2002 (see page 162 of report).

No doubt it has increased further since then - looks like higher mileages are here to stay.

my eldest was looking around for a motor about two weeks ago. plenty of cars in her ' target' area, ie yaris, cleo, fiesta, corsa etc. nearly all had about 15,000 per year. but she did actually find one she fell for, a peugeot 206 with 6,000 Kms on it. and it was genuine. but overall I'd say that it was a fluke. one 2004 corsa with 24,000 on the clock even had 4 new tyres. found that a bit odd. ( you will gather that I accompanied her around all the various main dealers, she was always going to make here own choice anyway, just wanted me to run over the motor for her)

I would have said somewhere between 10K and 12K miles per annum was the norm. Its going to differ depending on the previous owner, where they live and how much they commute. Now that a lot of people commute to Dublin from satellite towns, its going to force up mileage.

My first car I put 5K miles up in a year. My next car I put 25K up in 3.5 years on that, which included a lot of business mileage and my current car has 14K kms in 18months...but I live and work in Dublin.

Clocking modern cars is so simple these days i put practically zero stock on the milage displayed regardless of where the car is coming from. It's more believeable to see it unusually high than unusually low.

Condition and service history (receipts not stamps) is much better evidence of a cared for and maintained motor car. Most modern cars today are good for a few hundred thousand miles anyway but there is a significant psychological barrier at the 100k mark which can represent incredible value for certain cars as long as you intend to hang onto the car long-term.

Bought a car with 35,000 on it and have put 120,000 miles on it since. My maintenance bills have not ramped up. They have spiked at the points where major services were required (e.g. timing belt) but as regards faults needing repair, that has remained fairly even since its first year in my hands.

If a major service (to include replacement timing belt) is due at 60,000 then you may find that a car with 70,000 on it with the major service done is a better buy than the same model with only 50,000 on it, but heading for that major service.

Back