Avensis or Passat

burkemg

I'm thinking of buying an Avensis 1.8 Luna or a VW Passat 1.6 'Highline'

any recommendations / experience of these?

Which of these would be better?

I'm buying new

I would go with the Toyota reasons, Toyota reliability, better looking, better value for money, cheaper to maintain, cheaper to fix if anything does go wrong. Don't get me wrong the Passat is a nice car but ask any taxi driver who is clocking up serious mileage which is a better buy and the Toyota will win.
This video clip is well worth watching may take a while to load but makes a good point of Toyota's reliability can't beat Top Gear for honest to goodness road teats :) heh heh heh

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...%22top+gear%22

Good Luck ;)

On another note I would avoid the 1.6 on any car this size. Too underpowered.

VW service costs are astronomically expensive.

Toyota parts are pricey too. Avensis is a good reliabe car, but so boring and devoid of personality.

Hi,

We had this exact puzzle to ponder last year - and it was the test drive that sorted it out for us - we were looking at 1.6 versus 1.6 not a 1.8 and our Passat model was the Sports Line.

Find two garages close by each other and make sure you get to test drive both cars within a couple of hours of each other - the difference is immense !

The 1.6 engine in the VW is grand unless you want to do a bit of racing - 6 speed / 115 bhp.

What really got us was the look/feel/comfort both inside and out. The VW feels so much more plush - seats are more comfortable and overall the experience is much more comfortable.

We bought the 1.6 sportsline in the end and are very happy with it.

try it and see.

Hi,

Recently had a simmilar decision to make re Passat, Avensis or Skoda Superb.

I drove all three and went with the base model superb with alloy upgrade. It was a great buy 29K for a 1.9 desiel as opposed to 33k for a simmilar spec passat. It has climate control, electronic retracting mirrors, small leather pack, good sound system to name but a few also is very comfortable, bigger than avensis and nearly as big as new passat.

Overall a great buy.

had a test drive in a 06 1.6 TDCI focus at the weekend,
Absolutely super,
Was going to buy a 02 Passat or a 03 mondeo, but the focus it is I think

bertson said:
had a test drive in a 06 1.6 TDCI focus at the weekend,
Absolutely super,
Was going to buy a 02 Passat or a 03 mondeo, but the focus it is I think

You can hardly compare a Focus to any of the above cars????

No but a Mondeo is comparable. Very good buys 2nd hand.

Best handling car in it's class. Undisputable.

Apologies it not comparable,
I've gone of the Avensis and the Passat,

I have a dodgy ankle, and the car must have 'foot' room to the left of the clutch, Both the focus and the mondeo offer that while the other don't

For me it is either a Mondeo or another focus, though the Passat is a lot nicer to look at

I had an 02 avensis co car for 2 years which I treated like sh*t for 2 years and it always came back for more without complaining. I now have a new model which is very different to drive much lighter all round- very middle aged ( and Im not!). I ts very boring and not as nice a drive as the older model. I find the seats are doing my back in too something I did not get on the older one. Having said that I can honestly only gripe about the seat and the styling!(seat a major gripe for me however!!) does exactly what it says on the tin and will not let you down. I would take a passat any day over it though.. so much nicer inside and its gotta be a better drive.

Re the Skoda superb, no doubt every bit as good on Day 1 and cheaper. However, I wonder if it'll bite you on the re-sale/trade-in. Cheaper may not mean better value if you lose out when you go to change.

Have a Passat 1.9 tdi, drove my friends Avensis - a year fresher than mine - everything felt very "padded" in the Avensis in comparison. The gear stick felt like a wooden spoon in a bowl of toffee ..... all very "vague".

The new Passat interior looks the biz, Toyota tend to be a bit dull on the inside

From my inital reseach into a Superb trade in after two years is 7K on the 1.9tdi. What would trade in on a VW passat be?

Also from looking at what car magazine a Superb retains 55% after three years where as passat is only 51%.

Back