Avensis D4D or Audi A4 1.9TDI 03-05 Which is best?

Ford do fixed menu pricing but there must be something odd about the statment.

He does say that they only vary when car requires something extra, I can't imagine like for like service on an Audi A4 Diesel anywhere near Ford Focus Diesel. I worked for Ford and Audi and there are huge differences in my opinion.

Have petrol models, lads, and Audi A4 might be about €30 more for service, but a very small price to pay for great car.
And in case you havn't noticed, the taxi's are all driving Skoda's now, (from the Volkswagen passat stable and 2nd cousin to the Audi....) not too many driving Toyota Avensis nowadays. The Skoda Octavia would be well worth looking at instead of Avensis, even the 'garda traffic corps' are driving Skoda Octavias now, great car.
Will probably trade in our Focus for Octavia when the time comes.

Those are fair enough comments re the wait. I plan around mine...service will be August 29th. Am still a little unsure about main dealer service as need full service and NCT service (NCT is 9 days later)...but I'm going to take the hit this time as I think it's the best option for peace of mind (they stand over NCT check etc).

I suppose the Avensis vs A4 comparison is a little unfair to be honest. You're comparing a mass market run of the mill rep/family saloon with a luxury family saloon. If it was Avensis vs Modeo that would be fair enough...but it's not...which is why I understand the "it's a lovely car" statements from Audi customers.
I know if I was driving a new A4 around I'd be a little miffed with niggly problems...but if I bought an Avensis I'd be frankly extremely disappointed with any sort of unreliability. You buy an Avensis for cheapness of servicing, safety and reliability. You certainly don't buy it for its charm, drive ability and good looks.

Audi lovely car and all that, but my last service at 40K miles on Diesel A4 cost me € 350 at the local Audi dealer. €47 was for new wipers, the rest was just the standard charge, so you see you pay for the badge.

The Avensis and A4 aren't really direct rivals anyway, maybe the lower models like the lawnmower 102bhp 1.6 and dated 110bhp 1.9TDI might be but the A4 is mainly positioned against the likes of the Volvo S60, BMW 3 Series and all the compact execs etc ... The Avensis is more of a fleet car to rival the Mondeo, Vectra and Passat or maybe not the Mondeo anymore actually seeming as Ford have higher aspirations for the new model.

Audi lovely car and all that, but my last service at 40K miles on Diesel A4 cost me € 350 at the local Audi dealer. €47 was for new wipers, the rest was just the standard charge, so you see you pay for the badge.

Not too bad. I know of someone who paoid almost €1000 for a 1st service on a 1.4 Golf

Gabriel, you may not see the problem with waiting 19 days for a service but people in general are only happy to wait a max of three to five days.

Surely the service indicator that comes on giving you a couple of thousand miles notice is enough time and warning to book a service? Last minute usually means overdue or too late

And in case you havn't noticed, the taxi's are all driving Skoda's now, (from the Volkswagen passat stable and 2nd cousin to the Audi....)

Octavia is based on the Golf, not the Passat. You need to move up to the Superb to benefit from (older model) Passat link.

Also, Traffic Corps are said to run (among other cars) a Citroen Xsara...

Audi A4 service cost 190 euro, 180 if u order online, I got it myself lately.

A4 hands down, heard too many bad stories about the Avensis and their liking to drink diesel.

Everyone is going to have a story about every car though remember that.

The Skoda Octavia would be well worth looking at instead of Avensis, even the 'garda traffic corps' are driving Skoda Octavias now, great car.

Just because the traffic corps are using them doesn't make them good cars. As previously states the Citreon and more recently the Fiat Ulysess have been used by them. Both awful cars and you can be sure that no traffic guard had any input into the decision to buy either.

I have a new diesel Avensis and in fairness I cant fault it. I have never had any problems with it and the first service last week cost me e130, they give me a e30 discount. It's very comfortable to drive, the cockpit is good quality and its light on diesel (getting 870km on a full tank). Plus it has 9 airbags and a five star NCAP rating. Audi is a fine car but you pay for the badge, the Avensis will never let you down.