Avensis 2ltr Diesel Dpf

Thanks mandelbrot,

Interesting reading.
I was thinking of changing to a diesel model next time so it will be uselful to be aware of the Dpf.

All diesels have a dpf ( diesel particulate filter ), that little piece of kit is what adds the magic mpg to your fuel, it can be cleaned rather than replaced, short journeys where the engine does not get to operating temperature will kill your dpf., average life about 100k miles if your diesel is being driven on mixed journeys, much less lifespan for shorter journeys.

Thank you for info. Bro in law(sales rep) has 10 D Avensis 2Ltr Diesel with 120 k miles + full Toyota service history.Mine for €10k.Mrs Gunner wants it but we only do 10,000 mls annualy .mostly city odd country run.bit reluctant myself.Any advice?

Well I'm no car buff but if you're buying it to get fuel economy you're pretty much wasting your time, with that level of mileage. Personally I wouldn't pay 10k for anything with 120k miles on it, but that's just me.

Couple on Carzone with that kind of mileage for 11.6-12.8k. So on the face of it, probably not a bad deal on the car if it's in good nick. But as others have said, 10k a year isn't enough mileage on a modern diesel.

Once short journeys are mixed in with frequent enough longer runs at higher revs ( at least 30 minutes open road ) you should be fine, that mileage on the Avensis is nothing, ensure that the timing belt has been done.

That is incorrect. All diesels do not have a DPF.

The purpose of a DPF is not to improve fuel economy, it is to reduce exhaust emissions. Essentially unspent diesel particles and soot from the combustion process are collected in the DPF and when the car is at road speeds which would be higher than those which take place within city areas, i.e. A-Roads, B-Roads, Motorways etc. the exhaust gases are hot enough to oxidise the particles within the DPF. So in laymans terms the unburnt diesel particles/soot from the engine are reburnt and the result is lower nasty emissions at the exhaust pipe!

In addition, a DPF can actually reduce a cars MPGs compared to non-DPF versions as additional fuel is used to burn off the diesel particles and soot during regeneration.

To clarify further I had a 2010 model in my mind as that is what the OP referred to , most modern diesels have a dpf as the emissions standards for newer vehicles have meant fitment of a dpf to diesel cars since 2009 when the Euro 5 standard became effective, there are many pre 2009 cars that have one also as manufacturers prepared in advance for the change in standards.

To comply with modern emissions, all recent diesel now have a DPF and a EGR valve, plus the DMF.
Toyota diesels have problems also with head gaskets