AVC and Buy Back pension relief allowed for same year?

world201812

Hi all,

I previously posted in the general pension thread which Early Riser kindly responded to, but I wanted to get any more experiences/advice on the below, before I proceed, I probably should have posted in this forum/section from day one. Would really appreciate it.

Would the consensus be as Early Riser suggested that you’d have to make sure that contributions were below 25% of gross income for the ACV and the buy-back, for the same given year? Or can you do both...to Summarise.

Looking at public sector post 2013 pension scheme buy back options and have a question regarding tax relief on them.

I am advised by my public sector employer that ‘Tax relief qualifying pension contributions must be claimed from the Revenue Commissioners by the scheme member concerned’.

However, one thing I am not clear on is whether or not I can do a public sector buy-back for the previous year, AND also do an AVC on my salary for the same year in question and get the same 40% rebate for the same period?

So tax relief on what I pay to my employer of circa 40%. and same on private PRSA linked to main pension scheme of which I am a member?

Back