Avantcard or Revolut in Spaim

Pieface

Hi,
Which would be cheaper to use (less charges if any) in Spain - Avantcard MasterCard or Revolut card? Thanks.

You are trying to compare 'chalk with cheese', ie. a credit card with pre-paid debit card.
So it depends whether you want to pay upfront or avail of credit.
Obviously credit card if not paid on time and in full will attract interest charges.

Possibly a silly question but what's the benefit of Revolut in the eurozone versus your Irish debit card? Is it that only the X amount you put on it can be spent?

Possibly a silly question but what's the benefit of Revolut in the eurozone versus your Irish debit card? Is it that only the X amount you put on it can be spent?
Basic card allows up to €200 free atm withdrawal.
Your Irish debit card will also only allow you to spend 'X amount you put on it' ie. whatever is in account the card is drawn on.

Yeh I get that about debit card, thats just the same as here!
I just thought there were no (extra) fees at all for using Irish debit card in Eurozone so the E200 free withdrawal of Revolut would be irrelevant? i.e. using debit card in Spain is identical to using it in Ireland is my understanding. https://www.bonkers.ie/guides/personal-finance/how-to-avoid-foreign-exchange-fees-when-travelling-abroad/ seems to confirm my above assumption, so im still not clear on the point of Revolut in Eurozone....

Last edited:
Both Irish and Revolut debit cards attract zero charges at POS, but Irish cards always have a charge for atm withdrawals, even within Ireland.
Small charges, but nevertheless a charge, capped at €5, a quarter/year I think.

Yeah but again that's the same in Spain and Ireland! If you just want to avoid that then you'd be using Revolut in Ireland as well....

Indeed you would. You appear to be arguing some point(s) here. You asked what are the differences and I am simply pointing them out.
However, one big difference, that I omitted thus far, is the security control you have with Revolut via the app. IMHO is second to none.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound argumentative. The reason I kept on about it was that the differences you mentioned are differences that exist in Ireland as well whereas I was wondering about specifically the differences when in *another* eurozone country, which as far as I can tell, there isnt any.

We've probably talked it to death at this point :)

No problem, but to be fair your first question was :-

This infers that you believed this was a difference/benefit between cards, which I pointed out was not the case.
You replied:-
Yeh I get that about debit card, thats just the same as here!

So I wondered why you made out as if it was a difference/benefit .

The reason I kept on about it was that the differences you mentioned are differences that exist in Ireland as well whereas I was wondering about specifically the differences when in *another* eurozone country, which as far as I can tell, there isnt any.

I was pointing out the differences between the two cards used within the eurozone and as Ireland is part of the eurozone obviously the same differences exist here as well.
As an aside, I have just come back from Turkey and Revolut was very good for me as I had bought TL over the last 6 months or so when it was cheap and as such when I was spending I was getting on average 6-8 % more than standard debit cards. I also withdrew €200 worth of TL, for small spends, FOC.

We'll agree to agree then :) I haven't used Revolut abroad yet. Have UK and US trips planned later in year so going to give it a spin there.

Indeed we will.:)
From today keep an eye on the dollar and pound and buy some through the app when you think they are cheap, a bit of craic to watch as they fluctuate. Don't beat yourself up though, as I did, when I bought €500 worth of TL one day when they really dropped only to find they dropped even further the following day .:oops::oops:
The exchange rates are hard to beat and are free up to €6000 per month on the entry level card.

Used revolut a lot in UK and US , it's excellent in that Respect , but in euro zone, not much of an advantage, possibly a good way to save up for the eurozone holiday by putting some money into revolut card a few months before holiday

Back