Autotrader bank draft scam

D

donkeyking

Hi there,
When you are selling a car on Autotrader, there are scammers trying to get you to lodge a bankers draft (which they have over paid) in your account and pay them back the rest by western union. It then emerges that the draft isnt honourable and the seller gets lumbered with the false draft and has paid the buyer back the "overpayment". For some reason, the bank honours it straight away and its in your acc immediatly. I have just realised that this is happening to me with the 2nd correspondance (see bellow). As I am in the heat of it right now, is there any way I can "catch" this scammer before he catches somebody else? In the initial email, he asked me to reduce the price, its not automated as the XXXXXX below was my name

XXXXXX,

Thanks for your email.
I am okay with the price at €4000.
Mode of payment will be Banker draft.
I'll not be able to send the Banker draft to you myself so as not to delay the transaction, but I've made an arrangement with my bank to send it to you.

Just have the Bank has verified the authentication of the payment, As soon as it clears, you'll notify me so i can get someone be in your address to sign necessary papers and the pickup. I will also want you to provide these following to me so i can send the payment to you.

NAME:
ADDRESS:
PHONE NUMBER:

Regards,
XXXXXXXX

PS: Actually i am not in the country at the moment. But want to fasten the transaction while i am away, As soon as the payment clears, I will send someone to come to your address for the signing of papers and pickup.

Back