Automatic cars and young learner drivers

It's getting less and less limiting as time goes on.

I don't disagree with this point.

But it doesn't change the fact though that at this point in time - at all points in time actually - if one chooses to qualify only for an auto drivers licence one limits oneself to only a selection of available vehicles to drive.

That's why my answer to the question as to whether it's a waste of time to learn in a manual was "maybe".

It will be down to individual choice at the end of the day, based on what each individual projects will be their needs or wants from driving in the future.

Yes, there is more to master when learning in a manual. It will not suit the wants, or indeed needs, of many. But if a manual car is chosen by the OP his kids won't have limited choices at the end of the process.

Good luck to them in their future driving lives, and to the OP with the decision making.

I was wondering, can you use your reversing camera, for your 3 point turn and reversing around a corner? If you can do you have the skill to reverse without it?

You may use it under test conditions, but if the examiner forms the opinion that the candidate is not doing their mandatory mirror and over the shoulder checks you will be marked down.

(That one was for free. A simple google search would have answered it also. Let's not drag this thread off topic.)

Have you done your research into this? We chose to go the auto route only with my daughter as we have an automatic car at home. We found it difficult to get an instructor with an automatic car. We wanted to go that route as the home car is a large family car. Based on my (limited of course) experience there may be more of a market for an automatic instructor car.

Choosing a car to drive isn't like selecting a pair of socks, you don't change every day

I can't remember the last time I was forced to drive a manual, certainly not since I last owned a manual which was 2008 , I never find myself needing to drive other people's cars

I just checked Carzone - if I was a young newly qualified driver with 7k to buy a car, there are 147 automatic and 966 manual cars available for that price and below. Drilling down to 1.6L and below engines (which would include 0L EVs) and the skew towards manuals is even greater.

Also, if you're applying for a job that involves driving a company vehicle, I suspect having an auto-only license will often not suffice as there's no guarantee that the vehicle your given will be an auto.

No doubt we're approaching a point where learning to drive a manual is pointless, but we're not there yet; I'd say 5 years time...

It says here that 64.54% of new car sales last year were autos. Maybe it's creeping and than tsunami or, slowly and then suddenly ...like bankruptcy. And it looks like this trend had gathered significant pace...even allowing for covid years. Today's new cars are tomorrows second-hand. The second car I intend to buy should be in our family for up to 5 years....maybe more, who knows.

Auto is a no brainer imo. Driving on a manual is akin to using candles for lighting when you can just flick a switch!

Auto is a no brainer imo. Driving on a manual is akin to using candles for lighting when you can just flick a switch!
God forbid, a young person might actually have an interest in motoring and would like to learn how to drive a manual.

This thread seems to be populated with posters making decisions on behalf of their, otherwise, adult children.

If your child is competent at learning new skills I would opt for manual. If your child has aspirations to travel abroad, they won't necessarily be driving nice new cars as you see in D4.
There are lots of places in the world where the stock of cars is old !

Salvadore made an observation.

Why do you presume that they don't want to read other people's opinions?

Last edited:
Why do you presume that they don't want to read other people's opinions?
Most people who want to read other people's opinions don't tend to make comments about those others choosing to express their opinion.

This is an internet forum. It should be no surprise to anyone that people will offer diverging opinions. If everyone were to pass comment every time that happened threads would be full of little else.

Some people have learning difficulties we are not fully sure that our youngest will drive at all so automatic may provide an option for some who otherwise would not have this opportunity. Challenges with concentration and with sequential processing make us wonder if it will be too much to learn to drive for our kid. Add in other more complex neurodiverse diagnosis I know its off topic but still nice to see somebody take cognisance that not all young folks have this available to them.

Same here. My OH is dyspraxic (poor processing and executive function) and wouldn’t be driving at all if not for an automatic.