automated gates how to affix to stone pillars.

NOAH

I want to put in automated gates and want to get 2 new pillars built as well. had a few out to give quotes for gates and when i asked how they would be fittted it was a case of " bolted to pillars" . By my reckoning I thought for gates ie metal ones . 12 foot opening so 6 foot either side, the correct way would be to have a metal rod through the middle of the pillar and a tie bar at top all encased in concrete. A few seemed surprised when I suggested this.

Is there a correct way to affix gate to a pilllar?

noah

Noah,
It really depends on the construction of the pillar. If it is constructed of blocks on the flat then bolting to the pillar is sufficient providing long enough fixings are used.

If it is a stone pier and back filled with concrete then you can still bolt using chemical anchors providing the threaded bar is anchored into the concrete behing the stone.

If it is a big solid wooden gate or very heavy iron gate that is going to be subject to wind loading, then fixing onto a steel support running up the middle is advisable.

Your gates are not that big so bolting should be fine.

Paul24

We are doing this at the moment. We are building 2 stone piers 14 ft apart and are going to have our gates automated. We have a pipe going up the centre of the piers for the lights which will also bring the cable for the intercom out at the front of one pier.
We have ordered our gates and got steel bars from the supplier which are to be set in the piers at a certain height up from the base. These will then be stickeing out of the side at roughly 3.5 to 4 inches.
We have to ensure that the concrete mix around the bars is well set to ensure there is no movement in the gates when they are fitted.
Hope this helps

Back