Autoeurope car hire - any experiences ?

Happy_Harry

Looking to rent a car, have come across many sites. Auto-europe.com ( a broker , not a car rental company)seems the cheapest, however am not sure about them, reading t&cs, full cover , no excess, but if you have damage you can claim back the excess of them... so you do have an excess ?? Any one ever rented a car through them ?

And by the way... I noticed price depends on the country you live ( not the country you want the car for..) and guess what...Ireland comes out around 16 % more expensive than if I say I am from Germany.. that is amazing.

I use them regularly to hire cars (mainly in Ireland but I have used them elsewhere too)

As you say they are a broker - the hire is usally actually with Avis or Europcar - you just prepay the discounted rate to Auto Europe and they'll issue you with a voucher which you give to Avis/Europcar - normally you pay 100% to Auto Europe so the actual rental agency dont' charge you anything.

Never had a problem with them ... as you say they've usually got 2 options ... hire with the normal excess, or with the excess refund for a little more (usually a way better deal than the car hire companies extra charge to limit the excess liability)

For what it's worth I've always found them cheaper than renting direct with Avis/europcar etc, which is unsurprising ... but I've also found them generally consistently cheaper than the other brokerages like Nova.

Be careful about changing your country of origin .. technically if you have an accident it could invalidate your insurance and leave you liable. Though in practice you'd probably get away with it (in my experience the info you submit to Auto Europe never ends up on the Avis computer system and they've always got to re-enter your address / phone / licence number etc.)

Also I'm sure it's been said before - but if you're offered to purchase a full tank of fuel at "discounted" rates when renting the car refuse ... take it full and drop it back full .. it will almost always work out cheaper.

used them in a number of countries...never any problems and usually end up with a National or Hertz car.

the main alternative we have found when booking cheap cars is holidayautos... the used to be a bit of hassle as they are based in Dubai and were closed on Thurs and Fri but that all seems to be sorted now.

Main thing is to recheck the pages and dates before you submit as once our twice my esteemed colleagues have rushed the entry of the info and booked for wrong dates etc and have had to put it down to experience !!

Back