Autocad 2006/ Autocad LT compatability

Carpenter

Hi All

I'm looking at getting Autocad LT for work and I'm wondering will I be able to import/ read Autocad 2006 drawings from external sources (presuming I'm taking in 2D drawings)? Is Autocad LT just the same as Autocad 2006 except without the 3D capability? Any comments would be appreciated.

Carpenter

AFAIK the answer to this is Yes, definitely.

I'd try the following company for further advice: www.dedicated-cad.ie

Have found them very good in the past. I love the look of the package myself. Pity about the price though :(

Hi All

I'm looking at getting Autocad LT for work and I'm wondering will I be able to import/ read Autocad 2006 drawings from external sources (presuming I'm taking in 2D drawings)? Is Autocad LT just the same as Autocad 2006 except without the 3D capability? Any comments would be appreciated.

Carpenter

AutoCAD LT 2008 will be able to import Full AutoCAD files all the way back to Release 14 - The difference is, as you say, 3D capability and the ability to add in LISP routines(programming) - Try www.diatec.ie (Authorised Autodesk Reseller) for pricing and further info

AutoCAD LT 2008 will be able to import Full AutoCAD files all the way back to Release 14
See further details on the dwg format [broken link removed].
It's a little out of date, but the same idea goes for the newer versions and I'm sure you can find similiar data for 2006 if needed.

As you'll see from looking at the table in the link provided, you'll have no problem opening a full AutoCAD drawing (*.dwg) [obviously with the slightly reduced functionality/3D] with LT, as long as you have the required version of LT for the version of AutoCAD (so the 2006 or newer LT version).

[broken link removed] might be worth a look if some of the free tools might be suitable for your needs (worth noting that the free trial has changed pages to and appears to only be available to users in the US), but may not be suitable depending on the intended use (I've no experience with any of the software mentioned in that thread outside of various versions of AutoCAD and LT so can't make a personal suggestion).

[For a program with such a high cost, the number of illegal copies of AutoCAD floating around is unbelievable. I couldn't even hazard a guess at the number of users who have AutoCAD on home computers/laptops from torrent downloads/burnt CDs from friends/etc. within Ireland! From my knowledge of users well over 50% have/did have at some time illegal copies of the software....... although that may just be a reflection of the people I know!]

Satanta,
You are quite correct about the number of illegal copies of Autocad floating around, there must be one pirate copy for every legit one is use! I did get (bona fide) Autocad LT 2006 in the end, which proved to be more than adequate for my needs, thanks anyway.

Back