Auto-enrolment could deliver retirement income of €15,000 a year

TheJackal

Wait until private pension is taken into account for calculating your State Pension Contributory amount. They started doing this in Australia a few years ago.

Wait until private pension is taken into account for calculating your State Pension Contributory amount. They started doing this in Australia a few years ago.
I think the state pension will be means tested within ten years. Why else would auto enrolment be implemented.

There are two main State Pensions:

A = social insurance = contributory SP
B = social assistance = means-tested = non-con SP

How can A become B?

How can pension scheme A be means-tested?

It's either social insurance, or it's not.

If you are saying that A will be abolished, over the long run, okay fair enough, but then the PRSI cont rate will also have to be cut, because most of PRSI is used to finance the pension A.

Arguing with people who think the contributory state pension will be abolished is like arguing with a Flat Earther.
Its clear that the demographic will not look after themselves.

Something will have to happen that will be somewhere in between current situation and no state pension for anyone.

Something will have to happen that will be somewhere in between current situation and no state pension for anyone.
I fully agree. I predict that both contributory and non-contributory will decline in inflation-adjusted terms.

Neither will be abolished though.