Austrian German

irash

I am thinking of going to Austria for a while. Read that
Austrian German unique and distinctive from standard German, but have never come across Austrian German Study Book. Should I just begin with learning standart German, or will it be something similar to learning Latin before going to Italy?

Lucky you going to Austria! It would be my dream come true

I speak dodgy German German and have no trouble in getting by in Austria. The differences are minor but might be more noticeable if I spoke super fluent German. For your average person, they are barely there. For example, one difference is they tend to say Gruess Gott instead of Guten Tag for hello but they do that in Bavaria too so it's no big deal.

Learn standard German and you'll be fine.

I have a German friend and I have asked her what is difference is she said it is similiar to they way we speak english and a northern irish person speaking. It is the same language with a few dialect differences. She has lived in Ireland for 20 years and finds huge difference in a person from the south west and the north west so I think German would be ok

To be honest, I worked in Germany for a few years and the auld Deutsch became pretty good. However, on a few visits to Austria and Switzerland I struggled. Basically I could understand them fine, if they were talking to me, because they knew they needed to speak High German, but amongst themselves....it's a different story.

I lived in Austria for a year in two different villages and standard German is absolutely fine. Most villages speak slightly different dialects but everyone will understand the regular German. I learnt the variations on some words as I went along, but didn't find there was any problem.

I found the people are very friendly and they often used to help me with my German. They appreciate if you make an effort, even if it's incredibly bad (like mine was).

Enjoy - its a wonderful country!

According to many Germans, Austrians speak 'farmer's German'.

Make of that what you will.

Having studied German at school/college, I spent about 9 months working in Bavaria - actually on the Austrian border. It's basically just a dialect of standard German that's spoken there. They will fully understand your learned German, and after a short while you'll get used to their dialect e.g. Madele instead of Madchen (a girl).

The worst part was returning to college with my new culchie/farmers German accent - the lecturer would be in stitches... but give me Bavaria/Austria over most other parts of Germany any day of the week.

Austrian German is a dialect of what is called "High" German (which is the German you are learning). It is actually predominantly the same as High German (unlike Swiss German which is very different). Its accent and the dropping of parts of words that can make it a bit difficult. For example instead of saying "Ich habe" you may hear "Ich ha" or even "I (pronounced E) ha" that kind of thing.

However for school or work or any written form of communication what you will need in Austria is high German. So its very important to learn High German first and only then Austrian German if you wish to really impress the locals.

Enjoy your time there - it is a beautiful country.

cas.

This post is hilarious.... There are very few differences between "German" German and "Austrian" German... It's the same language but comes with different sayings and accents and the pronounciation of words is different (kind of if you compare English spoken by Kiwis, Scotts and Irish). High German is if you speak without a dialect. There is loads of different dialects in Austria, I'm from Vienna and I wouldn't understand the guys in the west of Austria if they gave it their full and noone would get the Viennese dialect unless they were from Vienna.
Just study "normal" German and you'll be fine, you'll pick up the rest once you're there. And the Austrians love Irish, so you'll have no problem whatsoever!!!

Interesting subject. My German is poor but I have spent a little time in German speaking countries.

High German is the standard - every German speaker can at least understand it and nearly all can speak it. It's what you learn if you go to German classes and it's what you're expected to speak as a foreigner. As a German learner, it's interesting and sometimes funny to notice the differences in the local dialect but generally the dialects are just a curiosity for language learners. In the worst case (if your German is good enough or you are a native speaker) where people are particularly sensitive, your attempt at the dialect could be taken the wrong way and be seen as insulting - like a foreigner talking "Paddy" to you. More often than not, when your German is rubbish like mine, most seem to find it outrageously funny when you accidentally pronounce a word using the dialect.

The analogy with heavy accents in English does not explain the situation fully in dialectised German speaking parts of Europe where the speakers can switch back and forth between the high form of the language and their local dialect. Obviously there can be also heavy regional accents but that is a different feature of the language to the high/low split. I'm not trying to be funny but you'd never say something like "I can understand Kerry but I wouldn't attempt to speak it to a native - everyone there learns to speak English well in school anyway and they'll switch to it if they know you're not local" while it would be would be perfectly reasonable to say something like that about the relationship between Swiss and high German. In some cases, children have to be explicitly taught the high form - with a different vocabulary and grammar - having already learned the low form at home and with their friends.

By the way, this high/low split isn't just a German thing - it happens frequently in other languages (look up diglossia on wikipedia) but is uncommon in English. It's how French, Italian, Spanish and others formed - all were originally local dialects of (what was called "vulgar") Latin while religious, legal, philosophical and diplomatic communications all occurred in classical Latin.

German has the reputation of being difficult to learn but as a result I think you get the feeling that this makes your poor efforts at it even more appreciated by native speakers. Also, let's face it, German isn't exactly the most fashionable language you could take on. Italian, French and Spanish are considered far sexier.