austria

christyc

hi would anyone have any advice or ideas im going to austria on a family vacation for two weeks i would like to travel a bit may be stay 2 or 3 nights in each town i dont mind staying in b&bs or small hotels may be 3 star has any of you readers done this kind of a trip before it more of a sigth seeing trip than skying the kid are aged 10 an 1 will be hiring a car also
thanks chris

Where is your point of entry? Austria isn't Louth, it's pretty expansive.

Try flying to Bratislava first, spend two nights there. Only 40 kms or so from Vienna. Stunning countryside on the drive from Bratislava to Vienna.

Yes, Austria is pretty expensive, though I must say it's hard to find anywhere more expensive than Ireland ! In comparison to Spain, Hungary, Croatia etc it is certainly dearer. I've visited Salzburg not long ago & it's a beautiful city as is the surrounding countryside, with beautiful lakes & mountains etc. Perhaps its just a notion but I do think accomodation is more expensive in the skiing season...

Vienna is a great place for a weekend, the people are friendly enough although the waiters get a bit snooty if you order steak well done, mutterings of " hier is nicht McDonalds!" or some such :rolleyes:.
The Prater- http://www.touristnet.at/w_pr_1e.htm - will keep the little ones happy for a bit.
Graz is a very nice small city about two hours from Vienna , and again you are only two motorway hours from Budapest if that takes your fancy.

Good luck
C

Try flying to Bratislava first, spend two nights there. Only 40 kms or so from Vienna. Stunning countryside on the drive from Bratislava to Vienna.

If you are flying Ryanair you will not have a choice. Their flights in to Vienna actually land in Bratislava.

Back