Australian apology child migrants

dewdrop

While our record is appalling it is sad to know that this abuse was not confined to Ireland. I was not aware of the wholesale "export" of young children from England to Australia and it would appear that some of the children came from well known charities.

I saw it on the news last night. I never knew this happened either.
Its very very sad. It shows once again how evil humans can be to each other.

I saw it and the pictures on the news last night and it made me very disillusioned with the world. 500,000 children (many shipped from abroad) placed in orphanages, institutions and foster homes up until the late 1970s with widespread abuse.

As Rudd said "robbed of your families, robbed of your homeland, regarded not as innocent children but regarded instead as a source of child labour."

Sickening.

for all the ills of the modern world doesnt it just go to show "the good ol days" werent so good. All the God-fearing honesty and righteousness and yet see the apalling results.

The most disturbing thing is how it was all regulated and "above board" - i.e. presumably most people at government and institutional level were of sound mind but yet they all agreed this was the way to go. In the modern world, while I'm sure worse things are happening to particular individuals, at least one hopes or expects that "institutionalised" abuse is no longer acceptable.

In the modern world, while I'm sure worse things are happening to particular individuals, at least one hopes or expects that "institutionalised" abuse is no longer acceptable.

Maybe in the developed world but in the poorer nations I would imagine this abuse is still widespread.

Back