Australia with kids

alri

I am thinking of traverlling to Aus with four kids under 10 for 4-5 weeks at the end of the year, outside of a week in Sydney probably at the end of the trip what would be the best way to structure the trip and what are the must see's.Dont what to spend the whole time travelling.
All advice appreciated

you're extremely brave, the trip there is a bit of a grueller, you'd want to give yourself a break of a day at least on the way.

The problem with Aus is that its massive, driving is more or less out, you probably could do a trail from Melbourne to Sydney (call in to Canberra) but there would still be a fair bit of haul in that. Cairns is the barrier reef centre and a great tourist town but definitely a longish flight from anywhere else. Wouldnt bother Ayers Rock - kids probably wouldnt get that much of a kick out of it.

How about land in Perth, spend 4 or 5 days there - Rottnest Island is beautiful, fly to Melbourne - possibly drive to Sydney over the course of a week from there, nip in to Cairns on the way home???

You'd nearly want to talk to a tour operator or search flights because it could cost an absolute fortune unless it was bundled competitively. Also, I'd nearly go in the Northernhemisphere summer (southern winter). Apart from Melbourne it'll still probably be grand and sunny in Perth, Sydney and Cairns - it could be an oven in their mid summer.

I think I'll let mine off there on their own when they're over 18!!

Agree with Betsy Og - could be a nightmare trip with young kids. I've 2 sisters in Melbourne and they can testify to the trauma of travelling back home to Ireland with the kids, even for a month and coming to a place where there's loads of extended family. If you're really intent on this, maybe you should stop off in Hong Kong/Tokyo/Singapore for a few days before travelling on - same on the way home. Then as Australia is so vast, you really need to pick a quadrant and travel in that section only - you don't really want to spend all your time in airports or driving long distances cross country that is just bush - no excitement for kids there. Can I suggest Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide. All in the south east quadrant, certainly driveable between Sydney and Melbourne and then across the great Ocean Road over to Adelaide. All nice cities - individual charms. Adelaide is laid-back, lots of lovely beach, Melbourne lovely city with lots to see and do, and Sydney is, well, just Sydney! Enjoy.

Thanks for the input ,it does seem that it will become a planning project in its self!
I was thinking of a combination of fly drive starting in Cairns and working down,with a stop over on route depending on airlines,Ethiad does seem the most direct from Dublin.

The East Coast is huge, maybe Cairns to Fraser Island is doable (presuming flood damage all sorted by then) but all the way to Sydney is probably like driving from Dublin to Istanbul.

Go for it. Great holiday for kids and parents too. Would stick to one coast though, not enough time for east and west. We travelled from Cairns to Brisbane in motorhome with 2 under 4. Took 3 weeks, pretty leisurely. 1 week enough for Sydney and then head to Melbourne and the great ocean road. 1-2 weeks in Victoraia would be good. A must for 4 kids under 10 is visit to philip island to see the fairy penguins...our kids still remember this 6 years on. And a stopover would be perfect. Have made trip with and without stop and would definitely go with a stopover. We loved Kuala Lumpar. Love to know how you get on, with 5 ourselves under 10 we would love to make trip to NZ...shall be interested on hearing your experiences.

Just back from Australia. I felt sorry for 2 families with babies who wouldn't stop crying on the Sydney to Kuala Lumpur leg (8 hours flying time). There was a similar situation on the Abu Dhabi to Dublin flight (7 hours flying time). The parents were obviously stressed out trying to keep them quiet. It is a really long flight and people want to sleep. Whenever I have kids I will not subject myself, them and others to this trip.

Don't try to do too much!! Darwin to Melbourne is like travelling from Oslo to Cairo! I would agree that Perth is a nice place and rotnest island is beautiful but they alone probably don't justify the long trip to the west coast. If Sydney is part of your itinery, take in the Blue Mountains and go to the aquarium in darling harbour.

Melbourne is a great contrast to Sydney with it's old trams and European feel. Beautiful botanical gardens and you could take a few days driving the great ocean road in Victoria, and see the twelve apostles.

However for me, if I was in Mebourne I would definitely go to Tasmania. In fact you could spend the entire holiday there. A 50 minute flight from Melbourne or take the ferry (The spirit of Tasmania) for the 14 hour journey. I would recommend the former.

Fly into Hobart and enjoy the feel of the small city at the foot of the beautiful Mount Nelson and Mount Wellington, with the beautiful Tasman Bridge over the Derwent River. Or eat fresh seafood on the wharf at constitution dock. They also have a wonderful market at the beautiful Salamanca Place.

If you go to Tassie, you must go to Pot Arthur on the south east coast and Strahan on the west coast and do the World Heritage Cruises tour down the beautiful Gordan River.

They also have one of the top 10 beaches in the world, Wineglass Bay on the fraycitet peninsula near Coles Bay. To get there, there is a great hike for the kids over the pink granite Hazard mountains. Stay in the Fraycinet Lodge. If you are into hiking and nice lodges you could also check out the Cradle Mountain Lodge.

Tassie has it all, beaches, mountains, small towns, city life, and great wine, especially if you like Pinot Noir. The place is about the size of the republic and has a 1/3 of the population of Dublin.

I've been all over Australia and Tassie is the place I miss most.

For me I would do Sydney, Melbourne, and Tasmania. Cradle Mountain Lodge, Fraycinet Lodge, Hobart, Strahan, Port Arthur (that's just a day trip from Hobart) and possibly Launceston. They have a beautiful gorge that runs through the city!

Sorry to be so long winded but hopefully it's of some help. Google some of these things and let me know what you decide.

Patrick

Back