Australia for 4 weeks

For the Great Barrier Reef I used Down Under Dive, they were running a promo for AU$90 that included one intro dive and snorkelling on the reef . Lunch was also thrown in as well as great entertainment by the crew.
You can pay extra to do two dives but we stuck with one dive and then snorkelled for about two hours in total.

For the Whitsundays we used a Maxi yacht called Broomstick. Its a retired racing boat so it only holds about 20 passengers. If you want to just go on the beer there are other boats that take up to 60 people. Very young crowd on these though. We stayed on the boat for two nights and had a great time. You get to know all the passengers and go snorkelling a couple of times. Food is superb, quality and quantity. There are boats that focus on diving as well, more expensive obviously.

If you are travelling on your own OzExperience is handy cos you get to know people. On the downside you can be stuck in a place for a couple of days waiting to get a seat on the bus. Plus they stay in some really bad accomodation in certain towns. We used Premier buses and just rang up the day before we wanted to move on and never had any problems. Plus you then get to choose your own accomodation.

One piece of advice is not to try and see every town on the east coast. Most of them are mirror images of each other: sea, beach, main street. Ones I recommend are Noosa and Port Douglas.

Also recommend going to one of Peter Liks galleries. Even if you aren't into art, his stuff will amaze you. If you want to buy make sure you have loads of room on your credit card!

Heartily agree with you CN624. One beach can become very like another after a while.

I found Surfers Paradise very dissapointing. Huge beach but you can only swim in a very small section cos of the rip tides. Other beaches have lots of stingers so you can't get in to the water either.

Noosa I thought was beautiful. Had a bit of character. Also Tin Can Bay where you can feed the dolphins & it's totally not commercial.

I went to the Barrier Reef from the Town of 1770, overnighted in a place called Agnes Waters. Cost about $95 for the full day including lunch & coffees etc. Snorkelling was included plus glass bottomed boat trip to Lady Musgrave island. Diving was extra.

If you don't get to make it way up the coast this is one of the most southern places you can visit the Reef from. Can't rem the name of the company but only one group go from there & I can heartily recommend them.

If you are travelling on your own OzExperience is handy cos you get to know people. On the downside you can be stuck in a place for a couple of days waiting to get a seat on the bus. Plus

This is only if you are not on the ATA. The ATA is an all inclusive package in which you only have 3-4 weeks to do the trip so Oz Experience map all this out for you and guarantee your travel. Those on the ATA get first preference on the bus. Anyone just holding a standard ticket will then be accomodated after ATA passengers are on bus. You can also call them the day before to prebook a seat for you.

Plus they stay in some really bad accomodation in certain towns

I didnt find anything wrong with the accommodation. Good locations, comfortable and clean.

Does the Ozexperience include all this for your $1200 ?

-Transport up the coast
-activites in each location
-accomodation

for three weeks ? Thats pretty reasonable if thats the case ,

Looking into a few options myself, for four weeks and the cost of accomodation etc mounts up fairly quickly . Any tips for seeing it all on a very tight budget ?

Hi SNB.

Yes. OzExperience includes all accomodation and transport, most activities and some meals. Well it did when i did it and that was only last november. Some of the activities that were included in the $1200 were

- Midnight Kayaking in Barrington
- Two days at surf camp in Arrawarra called Spot X
- Zorbing outside Brisbane
- Ferry & Overnight stay on Fraser Island + 4x4 trip on the island
- Overnight stay at a cattle station called Kroombit (some laugh)
- Three days (2 nights) sailing on the whitsundays with diving and snorkelling on the great barrier reef
- Ferry from Townsville to Magnetic Island. Overnight stay on Magnetic Island with kayaking etc again

Some places you stop off are
Sydney, Byron Bay, Brisbane, Hervey Bay, Noosa, Rainbow Beach, Airlie Beach, Magnetic Island, Mission Beach, Cairns.

I would definately recommend it. It was a fun, cheap and chearful way to travel around oz in a short time. [broken link removed] is the link to the trip i did but when booking make sure to state you want the all inclusive trip and not ticket only.

GED

cheers for that GED, it looks like a great way to see the east coast and control costs .

Now just to convince the other half, who considers themselves more of a 'nomad' and would prefer to self-drive the whole thing.