Audiologists and Hearing Aids

divadsnilloc

A relation of mine recently had a hearing test and was advised that she required hearing aids. However, she was quoted €2000 which seems quite expensive. I believe it is far cheaper for this service in Northern Ireland or the UK and I'm wondering if anybody has any contacts or knowledge in this area.

Thanks,

Dave

Was this for two? Analogue or digital? In-the-ear or taking up how much of the outer ear? This seems about the cheapest available in the country. I have two almost-invisible ones (E1500 each 7 years ago) and two over the ear backups (about E900 each 5 years ago)

Generally, you pay more for small size, less visibility and advanced features. It depends on their type of hearing loss, age (older folk often not keen to have really small, fiddly objects) etc etc.

You can, however, shop around and compare like with like once you know what the spec is. Remember that being near the vendor's premises is an advantage for popping back when something trivial goes wrong (as it will from time to time). I have to post the things to Dublin and, while they're great at dealing with it quickly, you still do without for days. For some things you have to be there, so have your friend think about that. Some companies won't touch other's offerings too...

There are people who will come to your house, test you and offer you aids. I have found these the most expensive and least willing to deal with the inevitable repairs. I considered the North too but couldn't face going back up for the adjustments that cannot be done in the post.

I doubt you'll get aids for less than this in Ireland, (assuming they're a custom fit, that is) so you're not being overcharged. You can pay five grand each for two aids, so your supplier is being reasonable, I think.

I have found Advance Hearing, Aston Quay, good for advice and excellent follow-up. Will be going back there for upgrades when I get worse :( (No connection with them)

HTH

Reading Suellen's thread link prompts me to add two points:

Advance Hearing do "own brand" aids, (or did when I was there last) at a lower price than branded ones.

They service them in their own workshop, so no delays caused by posting to England.

(No connection with them - just reading the thread makes me realise that, in fact, I'm doing quite well with mine!)

Back