Audi A4..poor reputation?

gebbel

I was seriously thinking of changing my 2002 1.9TDi passat to the Audi A4. I had always believed that Audi made good cars, but recent google checks have surprised me. There is a lot of negative opinion, based on criteria such as price, reliabilty, servicing etc. Has anyone any opinions on this, good or bad.
Thanks

I have driven two, previously '99 1.6 petrol and currently '03 1.8T 163BHP.
Wouldn't have a bad word to say about them.
Drove a mates '03 Passat 1.9 TDi and the cabin just didn't feel as good, that maybe down to personal preference though.
You will get people saying that while the engines are some of the best around that the electronics are shocking but personally I've never had any issues.

I have one and I'm happy enough with it. The only problem I have had is that the bulbs seem to go quite a bit but no more than the Passat I had before. From a drive point of view the A4 is much, much better than the Passat (but that wouldn't be hard, it was the most boring car I have ever owned). I'm sure it's not the best car in the world or anything but it's fun to drive, holds the kids and is reliable.
I have mine for two years, bought a year old. I do about 15-20K miles a year so it gets worked quite hard. I have no idea what the fuel efficiency is and if you are about to spend 40 odd grand on a car you shouldn't either

Have a 07 A4 TDI and this is my fourth. Never had any problems, great drivers car. Only downside is rear leg space is tight. The next model is going to have more space apparently as it will be based on the A5.

I believe the dual mass flywheels were prone to early failure on some tdi models on A4s....worth checking out as I cant remember the exact models/years....

I thought Passats and A4's were closely related?

The B5 was based on a shortened version of the Passat platform. The current B7 model is independent as far as I know.

Regarding A4's. I have just very recently bought a Cabrio and I am over the moon with it! I look forward to my commute in it every morning, it has a huge grin factor.

I believe the dual mass flywheels were prone to early failure on some tdi models on A4s....worth checking out as I cant remember the exact models/years....

I thought that was a problem with all TDI's

I think dual mass flywheel was/is only a relatively new introduction so some older A4/Passats dont have dual mass flywheels....

I have drove an Audi A4 and i loved it, there very smooth, easy to handle, spacious, really a lovely car to drive..

Agree with Mull. Also on my fourth A4 and no problems. Would recommend the TDIs. Low depreciation as well. Stay clear of the 1.6 petrol. If buying second hand go for the 1.9tdi 130bhp.

Note new A4 being launched in Frankfurt next week http://www.audi.ie (www.audi.ie).

Regardless of individual experiences, Audis are statistically not particularly reliable - check out UpThe Banner's link.

Also, I think they have been criticised for having a less than satisfactory ride quality?

They look great though - but that's not everything.

They look great though - but that's not everything.

Agreed. I am not convinced by what I have read here (and other forums/ websites). I think I will start to consider other manufacturers also.

Agreed. I am not convinced by what I have read here (and other forums/ websites). I think I will start to consider other manufacturers also.

What else would you consider?

I'm guessing the Accord might be within a potential Audi buyer's radar?

Regarding A4's and getting the headlight aim right for the NCT, I can't write exactly what my mechanic said but suffice to say they are incredibly difficult to deal with.

I'm guessing the Accord might be within a potential Audi buyer's radar?

I have never really considered one, but when I read how reliable it is, it makes me think maybe. However, just a quick look a carzone.ie, and I am not mad about the shape of the Accord!

I think they look great - but obviously it's a personal thing.

It's comfortable, well specced, roomy, extremely reliable...

But if you're not pushed on the look it's probably hard to sell it to you!

Mazda 6?

Mondeo?

Good cars yes, but again shape does nothing for me. in fact, I find very little difference in how Mazda, Mondeo and Honda Accord look. Maybe its just me!