Auctions: Can I bid on behalf of my brother

ronaldo

My brother resides in Australia and is interested in purchasing a house coming up for auction next week.

Due to the timeframes involved, it'll only be possible for me to bid on his behalf.

Can I bid on his behalf and, when the auction is over, the house be signed over directly to him as opposed to me?

I'm aware that, if he were to pull out, the contract is between me and the auctioneer and I'm willing to take the risk of there being an unlikely family feud in the meantime

Very silly to take a risk of signing a contract if he were to pull out and he in Australia and you to be liable!

Yes you can bid for him. But you need a deposit cheque from your brother. Is this at Allsops auction? They can accommodate this. He can even pay them the depsoit now and bid himself over the internet or on the telephone.

Why is your brother in Australia buying a house in Ireland ? Because it's cheap, it's an investment, he will return, property prices will rise.

How is he able to fund the purchase.

He's paying cash and buying because he's returning next year.

It's an Alsop auction and it's too late for him to post a cheque and identification from Australia, for which reason, he's considering transferring the cash online to my account and I will secure the bank draft for the deposit and bid under my name.

It's mainly after the auction I'm concerned with - can the solicitor transfer directly to him or does it need to go to my name and then to his?

You most certainly don't want to buy it in your name, as far as I remember you can sign the contract in trust for him and he will sign the transfer (the actual real legal document that transfers the property from one owner to another).

All this should be on Allsops website. They have a very comprehensive and detailed advise sheet on their website. In addition they are very quick to pick up the phone. Supremly efficient is all I've seen.

Yes he should transfer at a mimimum an amount that to you signifies he's serious.

This all sounds very rushed. Has a solicitor checked out the title? Have you downloaded the legal documents from the website ?

I know it would cost a few bob but would he not be better off to get a solicitor to bid on his behalf?, that releases you from any risk of liability

I know it would cost a few bob but would he not be better off to get a solicitor to bid on his behalf?, that releases you from any risk of liability

To be absolutely honest, I'd considered buying it myself as an investment property but offered him the opportunity as I know he'll be returning soon. I didn't include this in my original post as I thought it may confuse things and make it difficult to understand.

With this in mind, it wouldn't be much of a problem if he backed out - which is unlikely.