Attic overflow.

grahamo

Hi,
The overflow pipe running from the tank in my attic is leaking. There's a hissing sound from the valve in the ballcock so i presume the valve isn't shutting off properly. The question is should I replace the whole ballcock or is it an easy job just to replace the washer? also, anyone know where I can buy a replacement ballcock and roughly how much it will cost?

Thanks in advance

firstly you need to figure out why the ballcock isnt closing off. perhap sit may be faulty, but there could be other reasons. have you a lid over the tank, is this lid warped by any chance and keeping the ballcock from closing completely??

have you tried bending the ballcock deeper into the tank??

Thanks for the reply. No lid over the tank. I'm in North Dublin so a lot of limescale in the water, I'm thinking this may be causing the problem. I've tried bending the ballcock a little deeper into the tank but made no difference.

Last edited:
fairly easy to change, buy a new ball cock and shut off the mains water. on the end of the new ball cock you will see a threaded end and a little bit up from that you will see a nut, rip it at this nut and then do the same on the old ballcock, the nut will be just inside the tank. they should marry up. you will need an 2 adjustable spanners or grips, best of luck!

oooooh gross...I don't want to imagine what little rotting furry creatures are at the bottom of your tank....and all the multiple legged and winged ones...
I never thought of that! Anyway, Thanks for the replies folks. Seems like an easy enough job so I'm gonna have a go at it over the weekend.