Attic Insulation

tosullivan

I want to add some more insulation to my attic on top of what is there already. From what I can see it is 150mm thick rolls.

I priced rolls of 4m (150mm) thick insulation in B&Q the other day for about €23 a roll. Is this a good price or can it be got anywhere cheaper than this?

If I am rolling out the new stuff, should I roll it at 90 deg to the current insulation or in the same direction to it?

Is the roll out stuff the best or is there anything better?

What is the min. thickness I should be thinking about?

I have a big enough attic so the cheaper I can get it the better.

I priced rolls of 4m (150mm) thick insulation in B&Q the other day for about €23 a roll.
Are they still doing the buy one get one free offer?
We got this deal on 200mm thick 'Space Blanket' about a month ago.

150mm is the standard now. You can get three for the price of two at Homebase - I did so during the week (100mm). It's foilbacked also. This type is more than enough if you're adding to existing. I got large rolls for Eu 30 plus at Chadwicks a few months ago. As far as I remember they were 150mm X 12M2.

just remember that if you roll out quilted insulation over the existing ceiling joists, you wont be able to use the attic floor for storage....

Hi, I paid about €22 (deal done for about 30 rolls) per roll in Brooks for their own brand 'Ursa' 150mm rolls, 6 to 7 sq.m per roll I think.

Regarding second layer of 150mm... I am wondering about the same thing. I have 9 inch joists so the first 6 inch insulation layer does not fill the depth so I don't think laying at 90 degrees is an option (would leave a 3 inch gap under top layer which would allow in cold air and defeat the purpose). Will probably have to lay in same direction as first layer.

Back