attic insulation

tipperary

our new house will include an attic, which due to the roof pitch will not be suitable for suitable conversion to living accomodation. We would however be keen to use this space for storage. I am aware there are 'cold' attics and 'warm' attics. With a cold attic it is recommended to provide 150mm insulation between the joistsand similar again above the joists, with a danger of compressing the insulation when walking acrosss the attic. However I don't want to be heating the attic space unnecessarily. I am wondering is there any reason against placing some insulation between the joists, with the rest between the rafters, thereby leaving the attic space as 'semi warm'?

The roof insulation will have to comply with building regulations... so it really should be up to your engineer / architect to specify for what you want here.....personally i would insulate under the 'dormer' section with insulation that meets the regs, and place quilted insulation 'around' the dormer section.... and i would also heat the dormer area independantly from the rest of the house.....

Back