Attic Insulation with walkway.

tool

I am upgrading my attic insulation myself to save money. There is currently a small amount of attic insulation (about 4 inches) which I plan on upgrading with a walkway. How should I approach this? I understand that a walkway containing insulation may be available?

Just got my attic insulated under the Warmer Homes Scheme and they put in a small walkway, about 5ft long.

I reckon if you just fill between the joists up to the top with insulation if not all ready at that level and the walk way boards will act as extra insulation anyway and that is more than adequate.

You should look at the several threads on AAM from last January on the effects of insulation in attics.
You need to preserve the attic ventilation as required by Part F of the Building Regulations, TGD F, Diagram 11, P. 28.
Don't insulate under the water tank(s) - do insulate around them, any pipework and put insulated covers on them.
Flooring out attics is governed by regulations, otherwise you may crack all your ceilings.
Be careful about covering over pipes and services and recessed downlighters.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matter at hand.

Do a google search for Thermawalk or insulated loft boards - you can see them for sale on adverts.ie

Does anyone have any experience of the different types of attic insulation?
Other than U value comparison?

-Fibre glass (irritating)
-E Cosy (less irritating)
-Rockwool (fire proofish & doubble the price)

Does anyone have any experience of the different types of attic insulation?
Other than U value comparison?

-Fibre glass (irritating)
-E Cosy (less irritating)
-Rockwool (fire proofish & doubble the price)

Environmental scale:

1. sheepswool or cellulose
  2. mineral wool (rockwool) or recycled plastic bottles (earthwool) etc
  3. PIR boards (kingspan xratherm etc
lowest cost scale

1. comparative cost mineral wool, recycled plastic, cellulose
  2. PIR
  3. sheepswool

i think its p 41

Any insulation laid on the "floor" of the attic freezes the airspace above it and can lead to problems ranging from internal condensation to pipes freezing.

To avoid this I ask people to consider insulating the attic following the line of the roof in line with the roof and ventilate according to Diagram 11, P. 28 TGD F 2009.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matter at hand.

tomorrow there will election posters all over the country going to the skip.

place them, cut to a slightly larger width than your rafters, between the rafters, forcing it to curve outwards.

this will retain ventilation from the eaves while allowing you to push insulation into the corners of the roof space

LOL, I recently worked on the home of one of the Presidential candidates and whilst in the attic I was confronted with many life-size election posters from over the years and believe me everywhere you turn, there are eyes looking at you. Frightening!

Please spare a thought for the poor worker who has to get up there in the future and be subjected to this sight in a very confined space!!!!