Attic Insulation & Dividing walls

phester

I am about to insulate my attic with 6 inch fiberglass batts. I had to raise the beams with 2inch lats to get to the 6inch height. The batts are wider than the beams which are 12 inch apart. I think the batts are 14 or 16inch. Should I just push the insulation up the side of the lats.

Also there is 4 holes in the dividing wall into the next door property at either side of the chimney breast. Cold air is coming through these holes. I want to block these holes if possible as there is plenty of fresh air already coming from the eves.

Is this advisible or is there some reason to leave these holes i place. Should I then place fiber glass up some part of the wall to prevent cold coming down the wall.

I have searched through the web but I can not find much information on the dividing wall issue.

Your dividing wall should be completely solid and fireproofed. If there are holes in it they should be blocked straight away. Im surprised you couldnt find info on this topic as it is very serious. If there was a fire next door it would spread very quickly into your attic space.

I would have taught the same. But the holes are regular squares and evenly spaced. So is there any other reason for these. Houses would have been built circa 1940 or so.

Back