Attic flooring over insulation

Blondie1

Not able to help Liam 012 but looking for advice for relative. House very cold due to insufficient attic insulation but requires attic floored for storage. Is it ok to put down insulation between rafters and then floor over it, and if so, what insulation is best to use. Please comment on sheep's wool insulation. Advice appreciated from insulation professional or householder who has dealt with above. Thanks

Blondie1, I have moved your post to a new thread as it is unrelated the subject matter of the original.
Leo

Blondie

if you were to build a new house today, you wouldgenerally require 300mm of quilted insulation compared to 200mm of rigid foam board. generally both these dimensions would bring th einsulation over teh ciling joists. therefore if you are going to floor out the attic, the best thing to do is to build a new platform over the ceiling joists and floor that out , ie 150 ceiling joists, 150 platform joists, and floor over.

Hello Billk,
I found at a recent expo a thin iinsulation with a u value 0f .175. It is manuefactured by a crowd called Tradecraft. I have not used it myself but it may be the answer to your problem. If this u value is true this along with any other standard insulation should give you a reasonable standard of insulation and allow you to floor the attic too. I would however cross batton with 2 by 1's just to eliminate the chance of pinching cables etc.
The insulation is called thermo quattro and is only10mm thick.
they have a web site but I havn't checked it out myself.
good luck

that product does not seem to be certified.

if it was used in a newbuild it would have to be ignored in assessing a building energy rating..

do a search for multi-foils here...

here, on askaboutmoney...

in order for a product to be used for a purpose it should be properly certified... either by the IAB, BBA or european standard.