Attic Conversion

Nov Investor

Can anybody offer any advice ?

We are looking at extending some living space in our home. For some reason the roof on our house is different to the rest of the houses in the road, and we cannot simply convert the attic, as others have done.

Would it be an option to change the roof to allow for a conversion. Obviously it would cost more than the usual attic conversions, but with the right roof we could add considerable sq footage on, so hence would be an investment in the property.

Yes it is a hipped roof, but there is only about 6 foot height in the middle of the attic.

We will be doing some major building work on the house in the coming years and I see the roof space as a complete waste of space.

When I go to sell the house, if I can include getting the attic converted this would add significantly to size of the house, and hence return.

From reading the attached link it seems the way to go would be to get an an archictect in.

Have you an experience with the company that was in the link you gave me ?

Thanks

I was also thinking by looking at that sites if you changed the pitch of the roof you would get much more space.

Hence the original idea of taking out the roof and putting a different one on.

Hi,

I don't have any experience myself as, whilst I investigated the conversion option originally, I was too lazy to go ahead with the work. There is a lot of discussion though in these key posts on attics and you may find them helpful.